Destin Jetties dive report 2/12/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
SuPrBuGmAn, friends of mine (Larry and his son Tyler), and I made our first trip of the year to the jetties today. Air temps were in the sixties with sunny skies. We went to ScubaTech to fill tanks and sign up Larry and Tyler for OW classes - future Conchs in the making!!!!! As we walked toward the water we met two divers headed back to their car. Their good report on the conditions spurred us on to our dive. Larry and Tyler set up for snorkling as Bugman and I got ready to dive. The water was cold as it slowly filled my suit - it took a while before it started doing its job or I became numb. After sticking my face in the water and getting over that shock, we dove down and around the point. Viz was 30'-40' with some particles floating but little silt. Temp at 55' was 57 degrees. That's the coldest water this Florida diver has been in. Not many fish out today but there were some crabs and jellyfish. One Jelly looked like a snowball - how fitting for the temps :D. I used my air down to 750 and switched to the pony for the sideways float back around the point. The current was not too bad but I had my feet first for the float so that I could slow down a little. I sucked the pony dry and ended the dive with 500 left in the main - Bugman was still going strong on his only tank. We surfaced at about 53 minutes to see Larry and Tyler in the sun. We went back to ScubaTech and had a nice conversation with Steve at the shop. We ate a bite at Wendy's and parted company. It was a good day. Here are some pics from the dive:

Man that sounds cold! Glad to hear you guys had a good time.

Looks like you guys had a good dive. I can't wait till I can dive there again, hopefully March sometimes.

Water definately got chilly after a while, I still felt colder a couple weeks ago when I dove with Rick Murchison and Tom_Smedley at Vortex, the SI friggin killed me(low 40ºsF I think) until I went to defrost in Rick/Tom's cabin. The 60º+F temps on the surface felt great!

Even though you had a look a bit harder for sealife, it was a fun dive and all the sand dollars have been restocked on the bottom of the pass - get em while they're hot!..errr...cold!

sounds like a nice time, but cold!

and man, that jellyfish (?) looks weird

I might be diving the jetties here in a few weeks. Anything I need to know about before going there? Current info, or anything like that?

The 57 degree water sounds pretty warm to me. I have been in 46 degree water all weekend.

diverbob:
I might be diving the jetties here in a few weeks. Anything I need to know about before going there? Current info, or anything like that?

The 57 degree water sounds pretty warm to me. I have been in 46 degree water all weekend.

We transplanted Floridian divers are very spoiled - Diving in 57 degrees gives me close to Hero (or insane) status in these parts :D.

Here is a link with info that will help, feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer:

http://scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=724595&postcount=9

Dive at high-tide, you can find out the tidal info at www.saltwatertides.com for whatever date you're coming. If you need buddies, be sure to post :)

Great Pics, and great report. Can't wait to get down there to dive Destin. I have only dove the St. Andrews Jetties. When I was down there last I saw one of those cannonball jellies. I was trying to explain it to a friend to get an ID on it. Thanks to whoever ID'd it on the other thread. Also thanks to SY for taking it.

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom