South Florida - What do you wear when you dive?

What do you wear to dive 1st week of March?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJW

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello divers!

I am having a hard time deciding which thickness of a wetsuit to wear during first week of March (1st to 5th of March). It will be my first time diving in the south (Fort Lauderdale, Key Largo, and Miami), I have always dive in upstate New York ever since I was certified.

Just needed to hear what you wear thru poll and it will help a lot on my decision.

Thanks!!!!

You coldwater guys are much tougher than people down here. 72-degree water that would kill us in minutes without a wetsuit you nawtheners merely find refreshing.
The water this winter has been warmer than last winter - I just wear a 1mm full suit with my old surf shorty over it and a hood.
I was born in Brooklyn so I probably still have residual cold-water hardiness left over from my yout'.

You should add another choice on the poll. While some will wear a full 3mm suit, some might want a little more upper body warmth and wear a 5mm farmer john top. (shortie with long sleeves).

on thursday off north key largo(carysfort reef), at 75ft, water temp was 74f; i wore a 3mm full suit with a 3/5mm hooded vest, 5mm gloves and 3mm booties. comfortable on two 45 minute dives,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

On the Atlantic side and in the Keys I wear a full 3mm most of the year, with the exception of the hot summer months. Then I wear a 3mm shorty.

I haven't been cold with this arrangement.

Joe

My choice not available in your poll.
Yesterday I wore a 3mm farmer Jane with my 3mm shorty over my skins, with 3mm booties, and hood. And I always wear gloves.

3mm full suit and booties, I don't worry about gloves unless its colder or I know I'll be diving in a heavy current. The 2.5mm hoodvest gets broken out when the temps drop into the 60s.

Upper 70s and I'll just wear a 1/2mm fullsuit :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom