Where to go? Northern FLorida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadawg

Contributor
Reaction score
Some friends and I are planning a trip to Florida in May, due to time constraints we are thinking of Northern Florida, From Pensacola to Ocala. Can some one recommend where to go and where to stay what too see. Anywhere but crystal river. Are there any good ship wrecks around that area? Good reef dives? No one is Cave or Cavern Cert.

What do you want to dive? Springs? OW?

Pensacola, Destin, and Panama City all have lots and lots of wrecks inshore and offshore as well as a few small, but usually somewhat deep(100'ish) natural reefs.

As for springs that are OW friendly, you have Vortex, Morrison, and Cypress all relatively close to each other north of Destin/PC. Troy Springs near Branford is OW friendly and has the remains of an old river boat in the spring run. You have Manatee Springs and Catfish Sink, Ginnie Springs which IMO offers alot for OW divers compared to most springs. Go a little further and you have Blue Grotto and Devils Den as well as Paradise.

What about camping in this area? I've looked at Trailer Life Campground Directory and the AAA Southeastern Campbook. I've found what seem like some good spots, mostly state parks (Florida Caverns SP, Ichetucknee Springs SP.) And Ned DeLoach's Diving Guide to Underwater Florida is sprouting colored tabs like a peacock.
I'm looking for cheap, no-frills RV camping with electric as a base camp for diving in the area. Also less-costly dive spots (is everything $25 to $35 per person?) Where I dive it's under $16 per day to camp, and the only costs in diving are gasoline and airfills.

You could camp at St. Andrews for $15 and dive the PCB Jetties for free. Then you can scoot up to Morrison/Vortex/Cypress for a few dives depending on the conditions. You'll have to rent a canoe for Cypress $50, if you have a way to get it to the spring. $25 to dive Vortex and Morrison is free if the water levels cooperate. If not it's $60 to go offshore with Divers Den, they are located a few blocks from St. Andrews State Park.

Not too shabby of dive trip, IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom