lol they're **ALL** cattle boats, aren't they?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs

Reaction score
We'd all prefer to dive only from large boats with only our closest buddies or one or two others on-board, but the fact is that little 6-packs are just as cramped as the "cattle boats" when the cattle boats are full, and they're less stable (ie comfortable) as well.

In my third year here I'm seeing the pattern: every season out-of-towners looking for advice rant that they're too good for the local "cattle boats" as though there are plenty of options.

So, calling all locals - are there any 6-pack operators around FLL? If so, I'd like to give them some business!

MikeJacobs:
We'd all prefer to dive only from large boats with only our closest buddies or one or two others on-board, but the fact is that little 6-packs are just as cramped as the "cattle boats" when the cattle boats are full, and they're less stable (ie comfortable) as well.

In my third year here I'm seeing the pattern: every season out-of-towners looking for advice rant that they're too good for the local "cattle boats" as though there are plenty of options.

So, calling all locals - are there any 6-pack operators around FLL? If so, I'd like to give them some business!

Thanks for the heads up!

Not sure about every where, but at least the six-pack boats I have used in Key largo will go with only 4 divers. (me , wife, 2 kids) It really is like having your own private charter at no increase in cost.

Ive' done the cattleboats to. I would rather do a shore dive through the mangroves than experience that again.

MikeJacobs:
out-of-towners looking for advice rant that they're too good for the local "cattle boats" as though there are plenty of options.

Not sure if us "out-of-towners" feel that we are too GOOD for "Cattle Boats". I suggest that most are looking for fast boats if they are going to have to travel any distance to the dive site, and also boats that provide max bottom times.

The whole local vs. tourist vs. native thing IMO is rather funny. Seems everywhere (note, generalization to follow) *locals* look down their noses at the *tourists* like they don't belong. The irony is that without the tourists in palces like Key Largo, there would likely be nothing there other than a few self sustaining businesses which pretty much eliminates hotels/B&B's/Dive Ops.

In any event, if you have to ask about who is the best operator in your area, than maybe your local status is put to question :11:

But local REALLY does not count, the REAL question is: R U Native!!! :crafty:

RonFrank:
In any event, if you have to ask about who is the best operator in your area, than maybe your local status is put to question :11:

You're absolutely right. Real local dviers know nothing about the local dive operators because we dive on our own without them. (at least here in Belize)

I must be the only one who enjoys cattle boats. I wouldn't want to dive on them exclusively, but they're a lot of fun every so often. I enjoy meeting the different people on the boat and checking out their gear and listening to dive stories.

I concur with Reefguy. I enjoy the larger boats also. Most of the time I am diving alone on a trip because it's my hobby, so the larger boats typically have another single diver that i can buddy up with. I have met some great people on larger boats and enjoyed the day even more by being able to hang out with them for the 4-5 hours we're out. The larger boats also have more elbow room, so you don't feel cramped and on top of gear that's stashed all over the place.

I know there's a stigma about "cattle boats", but there's many things about them that also make them a better choice. Maybe there's a cross-over line, like when a boat exceeds 12 or so divers. Finally, I'm just happy to be diving and I don't care what gets me there.

My problem with the cattle boats has little to do with the vessel or (usually) the number of divers. It's that they want to continually dive the same sites, especially on weekends, staying close to home so they can get back in and re-load for the afternoon trip and tailoring their procedures for the lowest common denominator (which, on larger boats, is usually very low). I mind the boats a lot less when I'm one of the tourists and not one of the locals.

I dont mind the larger boats, its just when they are stacked full. A few empty seats makes a huge difference. Not having enough tank holders to take two tanks for every diver for a two tank dive is what i have found at times and not gone back again too - that is real cattle boat style :wink:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom