Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Fwc Launches New Hotline For Alligator Complaints

Chairman of the Board

is dreamin about diving.

Photos

Fwc Launches New Hotline For Alligator Complaints

FWC LAUNCHES NEW HOTLINE
    FOR ALLIGATOR COMPLAINTS

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) has launched a new toll-free telephone number to report nuisance alligators. That number is 1-866-FWC-GATOR and should be the primary telephone number for alligator complaints, available to customers around the clock.

Alligators have shared marshes, swamps, rivers and lakes with humans for many centuries in the southeastern United States and are found in all of Florida’s 67 counties. There have been increased interactions between alligators and humans as more and more people are seeking homes on waterfront property.

The FWC annually receives more than 15,000 alligator-related complaints. The agency removes more than 5,000 alligators each year when the reptiles pose a threat to humans or their property.

There are many precautionary measures people should take to reduce the potential for conflicts with alligators. To learn more of the “dos and don’ts” of dealing with alligators, download the “Living with Alligators” brochure from MyFWC.com/alligator.

Many Floridians have an appreciation for these ancient crocodilians and have learned to coexist with them. However, if you do encounter an alligator that poses a threat to people or property and is more than 4 feet in length, the FWC urges you to call the new Nuisance Alligator Hotline. All alligator complaints will be forwarded to this new dedicated hotline.

Alligators are an important part of Florida’s heritage and play a valuable role in the ecology of the state’s wetlands. Visit MyFWC.com/alligator for more information on alligator behavior and about the Alligator Management Program.
    Solo otro día en el paraíso!

Save the Shark Feeders!
    NetDoc's Snobbish Amounts of Trim Class
    Pete "NetDoc " Murray

Marine Scientist

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    15,000 complaints per year?! Holy cow. Maybe there should be a hotline where alligators can complain about people.

Chairman of the Board

is dreamin about diving.

Photos

It is Aliigator mating season down here in Florida...

That's right, and this is when the big Bull Gators come out looking for fun!

It's pretty important that you give them the respect that they need. Please be sure to wear one of those little brass bells (they hate them) and carry pepper spray when you are in their territory.

But the question often arises as to how to determine just IF you are in a big Bull Gator's territory. The answer is in the Gator scat (poop). The first thing to do is to locate their scat. If none is present, then there are no gators. If there is some present, you need to inspect it. If the scat is less than a cup or two, and smells like poo and contains small bones, then you are still safe as this is the scat of a smaller Gator and they are more afraid of you than you of them. You will know that it's really a Bull Gator's scat if you find big bones, tiny brass bells and it smells like pepper spray.

I hope this helps!

Save the Shark Feeders!
    Pete "NetDoc " Murray

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by NetDoc
    That's right, and this is when the big Bull Gators come out looking for fun!

It's pretty important that you give them the respect that they need. Please be sure to wear one of those little brass bells (they hate them) and carry pepper spray when you are in their territory.

But the question often arises as to how to determine just IF you are in a big Bull Gator's territory. The answer is in the Gator scat (poop). The first thing to do is to locate their scat. If none is present, then there are no gators. If there is some present, you need to inspect it. If the scat is less than a cup or two, and smells like poo and contains small bones, then you are still safe as this is the scat of a smaller Gator and they are more afraid of you than you of them. You will know that it's really a Bull Gator's scat if you find big bones, tiny brass bells and it smells like pepper spray.

I hope this helps!
    Believe me, I feel SO much safer now!
    We be buggin'!!

Buoyancy Babe
    Badge

Go Big or Go Home!

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    I have a friend who told me she heard from a local native (indian) that if you are being chased by an alligator to throw frozen marshmallows at it. It will think that the marshmallows are eggs and will go after them instead. Somehow I just can't imagine hiking in the Everglades with frozen marshmallows!
    Your South Florida Dive Guide. Reefs, Critter ID, Photography....
    PM me for details.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

I heard that too!!! Yeah, same indian buddy I got my manatee recipe from told me they used to throw marhmellows at them. They used to haaaate it when the trading post was out of marshmellows....

The thing I love most is when people move here, live on their "lake front" (retention pond) lot and then inevitably someone or something gets attacked. Then they kill all the gators they catch until they find the villian. Now THAT makes sense.

Fried alligator is hard to beat, by the way....

Chairman of the Board

is dreamin about diving.

Photos
    BTW,

Gators HATE bubbles. Not that I would ever admit to doing this, much less condone it, but have you ever seen a sleeping gator get purged? BWAHAHAHA! They CAN walk on water!

Save the Shark Feeders!
    Pete "NetDoc " Murray

~..facebook conch..~

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    I think that is something I would have to see to believe Pete. I do know that Gators also don't have a great affinity to go below 15' or so.. the things you read.
    see you in the funny papers..