daytona beach dive report for friday, 4/22/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peengers

Registered
Reaction score
My dive buddy and I hooked up with one of his friends who has a boat. We decided to skip out early on work for what might be a nice dive in salt water, as we are both sick to death of springs. Daytona's viz has been notoriously crappy as of late, and every time we schedule a dive the seas suddenly surge from 1.5 foot waves to 12 foot waves. This time it was different, the atlantic was reasonably smooth and at first glance it seemed fairly clear.

After running the coastline a bit in hopes of finding some manta ray we headed out to dive spot #4, which harbors the Maxine D. This was a multipurpose dive - I wanted to sightsee and my buddy wanted to shoot some fish. We dropped anchor, and could see the anchor line for probably 40 feet until it vanished into nothingness.

End result: we did 2 dives, each for about 25 minutes each. My max dept was 84 feet, I would estimate the vis on the bottom to be 10 feet at the most. I hung around the anchor line for the most part, my buddy hunted a little bit and ended up with 2 flounder. The boat owner went down with us as well, he bagged a total of 8 flounder and one gigantic grouper. There were lots of potential sandwiches on the wreck, and the bottom temp was 68 which wasn't bad suited up. With the low viz, D was eerie and much like a ghost ship. Oh, and no current on the first dive. The second dive ushered in the beginnings of the front that was moving in and getting blown off of the wreck was really easy.

It was a good dive.

I too am getting sick of spring diving, and did the maxine d this weekend. what a great dive. 2 dives 25 min each. baracoda were circling on the way up, and jelly fish. The ship is beautiful great sea shells. I cant wait to do more salt water dives

Sarah

peengers:
My dive buddy and I hooked up with one of his friends who has a boat. We decided to skip out early on work for what might be a nice dive in salt water, as we are both sick to death of springs. Daytona's viz has been notoriously crappy as of late, and every time we schedule a dive the seas suddenly surge from 1.5 foot waves to 12 foot waves. This time it was different, the atlantic was reasonably smooth and at first glance it seemed fairly clear.

After running the coastline a bit in hopes of finding some manta ray we headed out to dive spot #4, which harbors the Maxine D. This was a multipurpose dive - I wanted to sightsee and my buddy wanted to shoot some fish. We dropped anchor, and could see the anchor line for probably 40 feet until it vanished into nothingness.

End result: we did 2 dives, each for about 25 minutes each. My max dept was 84 feet, I would estimate the vis on the bottom to be 10 feet at the most. I hung around the anchor line for the most part, my buddy hunted a little bit and ended up with 2 flounder. The boat owner went down with us as well, he bagged a total of 8 flounder and one gigantic grouper. There were lots of potential sandwiches on the wreck, and the bottom temp was 68 which wasn't bad suited up. With the low viz, D was eerie and much like a ghost ship. Oh, and no current on the first dive. The second dive ushered in the beginnings of the front that was moving in and getting blown off of the wreck was really easy.

It was a good dive.

So tell me, just how does one get sick of diving springs? I've been trying my hardest for the last 12 months, with no success, LOL.

Good trip report, thanks.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom