Cedar plank cooking.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Has anyone else on board tried cooking on a cedar plank.

This type of cooking had its orgins from the Indians of the north west.

You can buy the planks from the internet. But I just use a new ordinary cedar roofing shingle.

The indians used to cook fish primarily but I have cooked pork chops, skinless chichen breast and super cheeseburgers.

First, you soak the plank in water for 2 hours minimum. Put the plank on the gas grille on the very lowest setting. Directly on the plank I put a layer of onions, pepers or porta bella mushrooms. Then you put the meat on top of the veggies.

Close the lid on the BBQ. It will take between 30 to 45 mins.
Turn the meat over half way through the cooking time.

I do alot of cedar plank cooking. Take a cleaned whole fish, soak a bunch of fresh herbs from the garden (stalks and all) and tie in and around the fish. Cook on plank until neighbor's beg for dinner ;-)

BTW - if you use shingles or shakes, make sure they are untreated! The preservatives in treated shingles will leach out during cooking - blech!

For best results... use even heavier wood. We had good luck using 2x8's.. they will last a LOT longer.

I can't remember if we soaked them in water first... but we put them in a hot (thinking it was 500) oven until we had some nice color on the outside... not burned, but nicely brown. Pretty sure after they cooled we soaked them in water before cooking on them.

No matter what you use... over time they will shrink, hence starting with larger pieces of wood. Bigger pieces should yield better flavor as well.

Salmon + Cedar = very northwest.

-B.

Back
Top Bottom