The weirdest things I ever ate were...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mako Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Since this is a VERY international board and a lot of people travel I thought this would be interesting.

Here is my list

Tarantula on a stick. Cambodia
deep fried grasshoppers. Thailand
buffalo gallbladder salad. Laos.
Cucumber and Chili icecream. Mexico

Hakarl (fermented shark) in Iceland

Hakarl is raw shark meat buried in sand, left to ferment for six months, and then hung out to dry for a couple weeks...smells like ammonia (similiar to Kimchi) and tastes much worse than you could possibly imagine.

Patatje Oorlog (french fries) in the Netherlands

Literally means "French Fries War"...French fries with mayonnaise, ketchup, pindasaus (Dutch peanut sauce), and raw onions...tastes much, much better than it sounds.

Can't wait to try that Cucumber and Chili ice cream in Mexico...yum.

I was in a restaurant in a really scary part of Belize city, (the taxi driver insisted on staying with us, lest we be killed), looking at the menu, when some guy walked in holding some enormous dead rodent up by the hind legs. He was bringing it in to sell to the proprietor of said restaurant. The guy perked up, bought the.....thing, told us we were "in luck", and cooked it up for us while we waited (two hours!) and drank beer and tequila.
He brought out a stewed dish which was actually pretty darned good! I am not sure what it was. I am thinking it was an agouti, but this was so much larger than the ones we saw running wild. I dunno. It was good though.

I wouldnt call it weird stuff to eat in the slightest, but the most amusing dinner was in Brussels, Belgium with a now ex-GF. We ordered off the menu something written in Flemish as it was the house special, i could see that the main course was Vennison, but the combination was very funny. When the starter arrived my GF of the time asked what it was, the waiter not knowing the English words for the food, put it as plainly as he could - Thumper (as in the rabbit from Bambi), she is a bit of a Disney fan and pushed the plate away thinking about Thumper now and Bambi later in the dinner. Needless to say i had plenty of rich game that night to eat and we got her something else afterwards to make up for it.

Havent really eaten any truly weird stuff, however most people over here baulk at the idea of eating steak and kidney pie/pudding or anything with liver in it - even pate. I equally baulk at Marmite or Vegemite, or any of the weird concoctions they have over here involving peanut butter with such stuff as marshmallow or jelly - yuk. What one culture considers appealing, another dislikes, i am sure some people enjoy those "weird" things you all have eaten and vice-versa.

simbrooks:
...I equally baulk at Marmite or Vegemite, or any of the weird concoctions they have over here involving peanut butter with such stuff as marshmallow or jelly - yuk. What one culture considers appealing, another dislikes, i am sure some people enjoy those "weird" things you all have eaten and vice-versa.

Uck! Forgot about Marmite--have yet to meet anyone that actually likes Marmite.

I had Rocky Mountain oysters one time. The father of this girl was a shepard, and he got them by biting them off the sheep, and spitting them out into a coffee can, then he came home and fixed em up for dinner. He was pretty proud of that dish! I also had sweet breads, I didn't really like either of those dishes.

Bayou Platypus:
Uck! Forgot about Marmite--have yet to meet anyone that actually likes Marmite.
Actualy I like vegemite better but either are good on toast. Wash it down with a VB and you'll get the hang of it.

cheers,

Yep.... Rocky Mountain Oysters at the historic Buckhorn Exchange in Denver. They actually were pretty tasty, although I was happy that the Buckhorn had a nice beer selection to wash them down!

Also Scrapple and Shoe Fly Pie in Pennsylvania.
Mutton BBQ with black dip in Kentucky
Cabrito (?) Goat shoulder in a Mexican restaurant in Atlanta
Poi in Hawaii
Raw Octopus in a sushi bar in California

wedivebc:
Actualy I like vegemite better but either are good on toast. Wash it down with a VB and you'll get the hang of it.

Yeah, I fell for that once at a fast-food restaurant in Sydney...was told "it tastes good on toast"....the result was not pretty--I looked like Tom Hanks from the movie Big after he ate a mouthful of caviar. Made for a good laugh though. :wink:

VB = Victoria Bitter?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom