Oyster Stew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
During the Christmas holiday some of my favorite treats are oysters, served in all sorts of dishes, from on-the-half-shell to in a casserole. Here's my recipe for oyster stew...
Now Oyster stew is a worthy project, and a little touchy to get just right.
In a cast iron pot, melt a stick of butter.
Add six to eight crushed cloves garlic, a dash of Tabasco and about a teaspoon of Worcestershire.
Add your favorite seasoning salt to taste - I recommend Raven's, Tony Chachere's, Zatarain's or Old Bay, - all are excellent, and a palmfull of freshly ground black pepper.
Put in a quart of Nelson's Select Oysters (the finest, fattest most tightly packed oysters on the market, from Bon Secour Fisheries), turn up the heat and bring to a boil, stirring gently the while.
The *instant* the oysters boil, *immediately* remove the oysters from the pot and drain any liquid off 'em back into the pot. This keeps the oysters plump and tender - overcooked oysters are like rubber bands - while extracting some oyster juice into the pot.
Add half a cup of white wine and the finely cut whites from a bunch of spring onions; keep stirring over high heat; reduce to about 1/3 original volume, or until you're out of steam, whichever comes first.
Reduce heat to medium, stir in a quart of half-n-half and a quart of whole milk (this is the low calorie recipe - you can go all the way up to all cream for the ultimate heart stopper), continue stirring, and bring the liquid up to just shy of a boil - but *do not* boil.
Add the oysters back into the stew, and the cut up tender part of the green onion tops.
Serve and enjoy. (Adding Tabasco to taste is acceptable)
I like mine with garlic toast.
Rick

That sounds delicious. I've been thinking about a winter seafood meal to be served during the football playoffs/Super Bowl. I think I might give that one a try.

That does sound yummy, Rick!

I hope you had some last night while watching the Tigers complete and UNDEFEATED season!!!

(War Eagle!)

ARGH! Your'e an AUBURN fan?

Well, in that case you can't be all bad :wink:.

Heather (class of '93- Uncle RIcky was class of "way before that" !)

sounds good!

chickdiver:
ARGH! Your'e an AUBURN fan?

Well, in that case you can't be all bad :wink:.

Heather (class of '93- Uncle RIcky was class of "way before that" !)

Suprise suprise! :D LOL

Class of... whenever I get around to getting the money to move back and finish. :crafty: Got a year and a half from whenever I get my orange/blue butt back up there if all goes well. Glad I didn't ruin it for ya :)

chickdiver:
(class of '93- Uncle RIcky was class of "way before that" !)
Come now, Heather, it wasn't *that* long ago... only 23 years before you...
WWWwwwaaaarrrrrrr EAGLE!
---
I did fix some oyster stew over the holidays and I did eat too much 'cause it tastes so good you just can't stop!
Rick :)

Ricky

Was it at Auburn that you learned to turn the definition of love into one of your physics lessons?? Or did you read the signs within the bottom of your stew pot??

mmmm ... oysters.
The only fresh (live) ones I can get around here are the size of my hand though.
Check out this recipe, it may make ya wet yer pants:
:D

Oyster-and-Leek Bisque

6 bacon slices
3 tablespoons butter
4 medium leeks, thinly sliced
1 cup dry white wine
4 cups fish stock
1 cup water
1 cup uncooked regular rice
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 dozen small fresh oysters (about 5 [12-ounce] containers),
divided
3 cups whipping cream
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 cup chopped chives

Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven until crisp; remove bacon,
reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in Dutch oven. Crumble bacon,
and set aside.

Melt butter in hot drippings in Dutch oven over medium-high heat;
add leeks, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add wine; bring to a
boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until reduced by half.
Stir in fish stock and next 3 ingredients; cover and simmer 20
minutes. Stir in 1 dozen oysters.

Process oyster mixture in batches in a blender until smooth,
stopping once to scrape down sides; return to Dutch oven. Bring to
a boil; reduce heat, and stir in whipping cream, remaining 3 dozen
oysters, lemon juice, and next 3 ingredients; "cook" only 'till oysters float/edges curl.
Do NOT allow to boil!!
Sprinkle each serving with reserved bacon and chives. Yield: 4 quarts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom