Serious question - no yolk!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Far_X

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Eggs

- in England, you are encouraged to keep them out of the fridge as the problem lies in cooking eggs straight from the fridge.

- in the US, you are encouraged to keep them in the fridge and no mention is made of gettin them to room temperature before cooking.

How come these are totally opposite to each other? Anybody have any ideas? And which is right? I keep my eggs in the fridge but then in England I always did that too but they don't make egg holders in the English fridges any more.

Couple off a couple of things. First off, NEVER USE THE EGG HOLDER IN A REFRIDGERATOR!!!! They are evil and lead to nothing but egg breakage. Use the carton the eggs came in. Secondly, holding eggs in the fridge as opposed to countering the is just plain smart. An egg left on the counter will age more in one day than a refridgerated one will in a week.

And now for the real killjoy... because the CDC says so. Ever since salmonella figured out how it weasel it's way into the inside of an egg, things in this country have gone to kaka. If you get one of the one in 20,000 eggs than have salmonella in them, and if you hold them at the wrong temperature (above 40F), and if you undercook you egg (below 160F, but I personally never cook my eggs that much), you could, maybe get salmonella poisoning.

However, the odds are you stand a better chance of slipping in your bathtub and dying (1:2,232) than getting sick from undercooked/mishandled eggs.

Hope that helps.

Salmonella dies if you cook an egg at the temp of 60 Centigrades for one minute. Soft boiled eggs - it's 3 minutes in 100 Centigrades.
The risk of salmonella doesn't come from cooking but from using or eating raw eggs - for instance cream for cakes that is made from raw eggs (many are).
Mania

neophytediver:
And on a side note, the possibility of getting salmonella is why you can't get truely good cheese in this country too.

Up here in Vermont(still part of the USA) you still can walk into a country store and buy room temperature cheddar cheese. They have a big wheel of it on the counter and they wack off as much as you want with a big long wire cheese cutter. One end of which is fastened to the cutting board.

It is amazing to see how close the clerks come to the ordered weight, just by eye.

Eggs will last for about a week (from when they are laid) at room temperature before they start to go bad. Refridgerated, they last about 2 months. Could it be that in England the eggs are fresher and here in the US the eggs you buy in the store are already over a week old? Or, in England they buy what they need for that week, but in the US people buy what they need for the month? It's also colder in England. I've never been there, but from what I understand, most people don't even need a fridge. They just leave stuff on the outdoors step.

As an American (that didn't grow up here) :wink: i am just lazy about eggs. If I think of it, I put them in the fridge. If not, they sit on the counter in their crate from the store. I have had them sit for several weeks and never had a bad one yet. And you won't accidently cook a bad egg, it's unmistakable! haha

its too hot here to keep them out of the fridge, anyway, salmonella is a pain in the gut, but doesnt kill you.

benncool:
Up here in Vermont(still part of the USA) you still can walk into a country store and buy room temperature cheddar cheese. They have a big wheel of it on the counter and they wack off as much as you want with a big long wire cheese cutter. One end of which is fastened to the cutting board.

It is amazing to see how close the clerks come to the ordered weight, just by eye.

The risk in cheese isn't from leaving it out at room tempurate, but rather using unpasturized milk during the cheese making process. Salmonella could, maybe, possibly, remotely get into the milk. So that's why the cheese in this country sucks.

neophytediver:
The risk in cheese isn't from leaving it out at room tempurate, but rather using unpasturized milk during the cheese making process. Salmonella could, maybe, possibly, remotely get into the milk. So that's why the cheese in this country sucks.

Unpasturized cheese is commonly available in the USA. Just not too much in the avg. supermarket. Try a cheese store, a gourmet store, or specialty mkt.

This is why pregnant woman are supposed to be very careful of cheeses here, although I don't know if that's a well founded fear or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom