americans need yorkshire puddings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leggeyuk

Reaction score
Here is my favourite part of a roast beef and horseradish sauce supper, and when i cooked them for my step mother who lives in MD she loved them, you see these all over britain but haven't seemed to make it across the atlantic so enjoy people. If anyone would like something different to try them please feel free to write me back as traditional british food is in my unbiased opinion the best in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ingredients 1/2 lb of plain white flour
1 pint of full cream milk

1/4 teaspoon of salt
2 good tablespoons of
dripping from the beef

2 eggs
1 egg white

Method
Sift the salt and the flour into a large bowl or basin.
Make a well in the center and break the eggs into it, add egg white
Add a small amount of milk and stir in the flour.
This should be a gradual process bringing the flour down from the sides and adding more milk as is nessesary.
You should end up with a stiff batter consistancy.
Beat this well for about 5 minutes adding the rest of the milk.
Cover and leave to stand for 30 minutes (ideally overnight)
Put the dripping into a large Yorkshire pudding tin.(or for the american counterparts a muffin tin)
Heat this in the oven until the dripping is hot, as in smoking hot.
Quickly pour the batter in minding for hot splashes of dripping and place in the top of the oven. 425 F. or gas mark 7 until it is nicely browned on the top.
Turn down the heat to 375 F. or gas mark 5 and continue cooking on the bottom of the oven for 10 - 15 mins.

You never see British restaraunts anywhere do you? Ever wonder why? :wink:

I do enjoy a good yorkshire pudding, though. Thanks for the recipe.

jonnythan:
You never see British restaraunts anywhere do you? Ever wonder why? :wink:

I do enjoy a good yorkshire pudding, though. Thanks for the recipe.

Quiet a few in the west coast Tampa bay area.

Steve, thanks for the recipe, and for stirring some nice memories. Roast beef and horseradish sauce . . . yum. And may I say that the British do know how to make condiments. Horseradish, mint sauce, chutney . . . yum again.

-Bryan

slightly off the subject - why does "England" in Epcot not sell scones anywhere? And they don't have milk for the tea? I had food poisoning/stomach flu while we were there and all I wanted was some nice milky tea and a buttered scone; but noooo...

Yorkshire Puddings are God's Own Food...particularly when coupled with mushy peas (as long as they're made out of marrowfat peas!). When I moved to the UK, virtually everything I cooked had a side order of Yorkie Pud. So much so that the flatmates reckoned I was going to start serving up icecream in it.

The simplest things can be the best...roast chicken, stuffing, mash (Colcannon or garlic in it is good!), mushy peas, yorkie pud and lashings of gravy over the lot....

BacardiSpice:
The simplest things can be the best...roast chicken, stuffing, mash (Colcannon or garlic in it is good!), mushy peas, yorkie pud and lashings of gravy over the lot....

Stop, I'm drooling in my keyboard!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom