From Yorkie puds to Toad in the hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leggeyuk

Reaction score
For those of you that read the Amereicans need yorkshire puddings thread, here is a new option, Toad in the Hole, for those of you that dont know, TITH consists of sausages placed in a bowl with yorkshire pudding batter poured in on top and baked....mmmmmmm yummy

Toad in the Hole
2 tbs Vegetable Oil
1 lb Good Quality Pork Sausages
4 oz Plain Flour
1/8 tsp Salt
1 Egg
1/4 pint Whole Milk & 1/4 pint Water, mixed

Heat the oil in a small roasting tin and add the sausages. Cook at 220C/425F/Gas mark 7 for about 5 minutes until browned. Meanwhile, sift the flour and salt into a bowl and make a well in the cemtre. Add the egg and half the liquid. Gradually draw the flour into the liquid ingredients until evenly mixed. Add the remaining liquid and beat to give a smooth batter. Pour the batter around the sausages in the roasting tin and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the batter is well risen and golden brown. Serve immediately.

BacardiSpice:
Go on...give 'em the Spotted D*** recipe!

here it is hahaha

Spotted Dick

285g (10oz) Self-Raising Flour
150g (5oz) Shredded Suet
150ml (¼ pint) Milk
110-160g (4-6oz) Currants or Raisins
85g (3oz) Castor Sugar
1 Lemon, zest only, finely grated
Pinch Salt

Mix all of the dry ingredients, including the grated lemon zest, together thoroughly
Add enough milk to produce a soft dough.
Turn out onto a floured surface.
Roll out the mixture to produce a roll approximately 15cm (6 in) long and 5cm (2 in) in diameter.
Prepare either a tea towel lightly dusted with flour, or sheet of kitchen foil or a double thickness of greaseproof paper, brushed with melted butter.
Wrap loosely but securely, leaving enough space for it to rise.
Tie or seal the ends.
Place in the steamer and cover tightly.
Steam for 1½ to 2 hours.
Serve cut into thck slices with hot custard.

You're a legend, Steve!

This is actually my least favourite of the good old stodgy puds, but the name is so much fun to say! I think Sainsburys or Tescos tried to rename it a few years back and met with a storm of indignant protest.

theres just somthing about homemade puds vs the ones one picks up @ the market. i cant wait till the end of march...going back to the uk again.

Legs I thought toad in the hole was a hard boiled egg in a meat pie, so if its not T in the H what is it. I've been gone that long I forgot all the good stuff but my mouth is watering

And what is mashed potatoes or colcannon with a sausage poking out covered in gravy? My private (public in UK-speak) school called IT Toad in the Hole.

Of course, they also called boiled-to-death brussels sprouts "food", so they could have been wrong :D

cowprintrabbit:
And what is mashed potatoes or colcannon with a sausage poking out covered in gravy? My private (public in UK-speak) school called IT Toad in the Hole.

Of course, they also called boiled-to-death brussels sprouts "food", so they could have been wrong :D
Not the first time a school has taught things a little off... :wink: The dish you describe is a standard presentation of bangers (sausages) and mash.

Toad in the Hole has always been as described above - sausages in a batter, however down south here they have it for breakfast with syrup, now that was different - although i have had batter and syrup before (not too healthy you must understand). :wink:

Y'all are making me hungry for my Mum's food again - desist now :wink:

you guys really have to stop doing this.

I went to a british boarding school at the tender age of seven and Im not sure whether this type of thread makes me hungry, want to puke, play conkers or miss my mother...

Its very confusing..

Back
Top Bottom