ISO Recipe for Coconut Encrusted Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BluOrchid2

Reaction score
I bought some tilapia the other day, and baked it in a garlic butter mixture. It was okay, but I really thought it would be much better if I sauteed it in a pan with butter, and a coconutty coating. Just not sure what other seasonings to use, and do I dip it in an egg mixture to hold the coconut on? I will want to use unsweetened coconut, as I'm avoiding sugar.

Any recipes/ideas?

This is for shrimp.... but I don't see why you couldn't adapt it for fish:

Coconut Shrimp
2 lb. large shrimp with tails on, peeled and deveined
4 large eggs
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. hot sauce
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 tbs. curry powder
4 cups fine bread crumbs
2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tbs. grated orange zest

• Wash and dry shrimp then set aside.
  • Beat eggs, honey, cayenne pepper, and hot sauce together. When well beaten pour into a shallow bowl. Combine flour, cornstarch and curry powder in a shallow bowl. Then combine bread crumbs, coconut, and orange zest in a third bowl.
  • Dip each shrimp into egg mixture, then the flour mixture. Again dip into the egg mixture and finally in the coconut bread crumbs. Set aside.
  • Heat cooking oil to 325 degrees, in a deep-fry pan over medium-high heat. When temperature is reached, add shrimp a few at a time and fry for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

Adaptions...
Cut fish into chunks, so that each piece is relatively the same. Cook similar thickness of chunks at the same time. e.g. the pieces from the tail may be thinner than the main body and will cook much faster.

I'll think of a way to replace honey if you have to avoid that too.
(It's a delish receipe for shrimp)

Back
Top Bottom