Ohhh my aching calves!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sibermike7

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Santa was Scrooge this year and didn't deliver! I am still waiting on my new Pros XXXL to arrive from England for my drysuit (also had to stick with boring black, yuck), but I just had to dive as it was our club's final dive of the year. We had to change our plans a little. We had another site picked out but the ice wasn't the right thickness. It was 2-3". Too thick to dive normally, too thin to set up for ice diving. So we just decided to dive in the sea at the harbor as there is plenty of stuff in the water that makes it interesting.

We started our dive at a leisurely pace as it was cold (33-34 degrees F). I was buddied up with an Estonian (read "6'4" gorilla") I had met at the water's edge, "Hi, I'm Mike." "I'm Andres." "Let's dive!"

I let him lead and because I had already been diving in this location before and he hadn't. I knew how the other divers would kill the viz and the "leader" would be the only one to see, the follower would have to just try to "stick" with the leader. No problem. We probably covered a lot less than 200 meters in 20 minutes when I started getting cramps! I couldn't believe it! I knew the "boards" that I borrowed from the dive shop felt awful, but to get cramps in just 20 minutes at a snail's pace!?!

I am not a prolific diver (30 dives since Sept. 1) but that was ridiculous!!

During the last 4 months I have been on some dives where we were in the water almost 2 hours and had to swim to and from the dive site! We just stepped into this dive as we started right from the water's edge. Boy do I miss me fins!!! And I am still sore!

Well, at least we had an interesting dive. We found a dead man, but that is another post! (You can check it out if you want: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dork-divers/265910-weirdest-thing-happened-today.html

Good story but I am not sure if finding a dead man would fit into a good ending. Probably, you need to get your new Force fins so you won't run into bad omens like cramping feet of finding things that shouldn't belong there. Sibermike, it has to be a sign.

Good story but I am not sure if finding a dead man would fit into a good ending.
Did I say that was a "good ending" because if I did, I didn't mean to! :confused:
It wasn't too bad when it was just a corpse, but later when I found out who it was, it was really sad. The only thing good about finding the body was that it was found. Meaning the family knows now and is not left wondering and the police can investigate. Sad story, 25 year old city councilman.

Probably, you need to get your new Force fins so you won't run into bad omens like cramping feet of finding things that shouldn't belong there. Sibermike, it has to be a sign.
You might be right. They (the fins, not the Feds) arrived. I ordered the fins too big. :shakehead: :depressed: I asked TONS of advice and even e-mailed ForceFin, but nobody could give me a definitive answer about sizing. Rats!

Blair Mott suggested that if I got fins too big, I could add the insert. Not a bad idea except I have fins XXXXXXXXXL (or maybe on XXXL) and I cannot find sizing for the inserts. Am I supposed to believe that the inserts that Tinkerbell sized smalls will fit the triple-Xs as well? :shakehead:

Blair also said I could double up the inserts. Man I don't know if I want to be doing that! So, you're right "good" is NOT how I want to describe my Scuba experiences lately!! BOTH IN AND OUT OF THE WATER!! :shakehead:

XXXL- really? are you wearing combat boots?

I have a wide 13 foot and I wear a XXL with my drysuit, I have a bunch of comfort insteps, but the XXXL is huge. What size foot do you have, and what type of boots do you wear? It might be that the XXXL is right, but you might need a comfort instep to make them snug up, as the XXL just barely fits my drysuit, and my boot is pretty thin, and I can't wear a lot of insulation.

here is the sizing chart- Sizing
for the most part a Comfort Instep will reduce the size by 1 for each, doubling up will roughly reduce by 2 sizes, but doesn't affect the width much, and it tends to leave them a little floppy laterally.

XXXL- really? are you wearing combat boots?
No! And that's the problem! I had size XL and for my wetsuit booties and they were tight-tight, never what I would say "comfortable" just tolerable.

I have a wide 13 foot and I wear a XXL with my drysuit,
now they tell me! :shakehead:

The XXXL is huge.
No, it's not huge; it's HUGE!!!! :wink:

I have size 10 1/2 (US) but very wide 3E. The sizing chart wasn't much help and frankly when I consulted with Force Fin, I didn't get a definitive answer. I even sent pictures!

All I got back was, "Man you one ugly dude!" :D (I'm kidding, well, not about sending pictures!)

Just one of those lessons! I still don't know if the XXLs would fit if I got them! I suspect that they would. I don't know why they don't offer a fin sized between current XXL and XXXL since everyone states that there is such a huge difference. Additionally, the inserts should be sized to fit the various fins it seems.

It might be that the XXXL is right, but you might need a comfort instep to make them snug up,
I doubt it. I am a little depressed right not to say the least!

Insert doesn't affect the width much, and it tends to leave them a little floppy laterally.
I was afraid of that!

SIBERMIKE7, I think the xxxl is right for you. I use the xxl with a thick sole bootie for warm water diving with some play on the sides and with my DUI rockboots the xxl is some what small and my heel tends to hang out the back. My foot size is 9-10. The last few weeks I have been redoing the xxxl master for retooling. After selling this model for years we found that the sides needed to come in and add height to the top. I have added our Flying Force winglets to the tips. Do not be depressed since maybe we can get you the first pair #1. I will have Blair post some photo's Monday. I do like hearing the cramping part which happens because the other fin's hang off the ends of your toes. Off to work, sanding your fin, should be seeing a urethane part within two weeks God Willing. Your friend Bob

NoAll I got back was, "Man you one ugly dude!" :D (I'm kidding, well, not about sending pictures!)

:rofl3::rofl3: Ya can't be that bad....I mean this is the second time someone's told you that recently. I'm telling you it's the tongue......and maybe the feet,too.:coffee:

SIBERMIKE7, I think the xxxl is right for you. I use the xxl with a thick sole bootie for warm water diving with some play on the sides and with my DUI rockboots the xxl is some what small and my heel tends to hang out the back. My foot size is 9-10. The last few weeks I have been redoing the xxxl master for retooling. After selling this model for years we found that the sides needed to come in and add height to the top. I have added our Flying Force winglets to the tips. Do not be depressed since maybe we can get you the first pair #1. I will have Blair post some photo's Monday. I do like hearing the cramping part which happens because the other fin's hang off the ends of your toes.

Sounds great!! What is the trade-in value of a pair of unused XXXL Black still in the box!! Oh, and gotta be Neon!! :eyebrow: With Bungies! :eyebrow:

Off to work, sanding your fin, should be seeing a urethane part within two weeks God Willing. Your friend Bob
Hey, I am in God's business, so I know He is willing!!!!

I should say, my drysuit boots are thin and even then XXL just barely fits. you should try a pair of insteps and see if that helps out

I should say, my drysuit boots are thin and even then XXL just barely fits. you should try a pair of insteps and see if that helps out
Man messer! (mis-spelling intentional) Bob was just fixing to send me out a pair of prototypes! Thanks a lot!:shakehead:
:D

Oh wait, sorry! The Prototypes are going to be xxxl too now that I re-read Bob's post! Yeah, great idea Messier, ol buddy, ol pal! :D:D:D I'll try the inserts when the new fins arrive. hee, hee, hee (rubbing hands together)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom