Sticky Force Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Love my force fins but they stick like glue to my rock boots! Sometimes my buddy has to step on my fin and I have to just about pull my leg outta its socket to remove my foot from the fins. Usually I remember and spray them with silicone before the dives. Is there a better way? I hope you won't tell me I need to go up a size. I already have an XL with a size 7 boot. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, going up a size might work...but the Force Fin pushes onto your foot. For the first year in sales we did not have a strap on Force Fins. Then some started using in the surf, and when not swimming the fin's were pulled off. If a fin is working for you then it should not need a strap? Right? Silicone might work. Hope this is helpful, and thank you for supporting a design that makes sense. 2003-12-cayman5b070.jpg

Love my force fins but they stick like glue to my rock boots! Sometimes my buddy has to step on my fin and I have to just about pull my leg outta its socket to remove my foot from the fins. Usually I remember and spray them with silicone before the dives. Is there a better way? I hope you won't tell me I need to go up a size. I already have an XL with a size 7 boot. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Personally I would hate to have to use Rock Boots....they limit extension AND articulation of the ankle, meaning they impair optimal finning technique. And, the soles are huge, so your fins need to fit these ridiculously large thick boots, rather than having to fit your feet ( or booties that have a much thinner sole and better transmission of power and control actions).

Why not booties more like this :
NRS-Paddle-Wetshoe.jpg or
diveshoes.jpgthis being the low cut version I use with Force fins or Freedive fins.

I cut the strap off the Instep, as it was not functional for me. These last many years of use, and I can walk over sharp stones and gravel easily with them. I can't imagine a surface I could not walk over with them. In water performance wise, these would be exponentially better than Rock Boots.

What brand of rock boots are you using? I use DUI size 7 rockboots and I found the XL too small, so my drysuit Force Fins Pro are size XXL and these fit the best.

I recall when I tried XL the fin was squeezing my foot. You could also see if you can loosen the bungee strap a bit.

---------- Post added January 8th, 2015 at 07:50 PM ----------

Personally I would hate to have to use Rock Boots....they limit extension AND articulation of the ankle, meaning they impair optimal finning technique. And, the soles are huge, so your fins need to fit these ridiculously large thick boots, rather than having to fit your feet ( or booties that have a much thinner sole and better transmission of power and control actions).

Why not booties more like this :
View attachment 200947 or
View attachment 200948this being the low cut version I use with Force fins or Freedive fins.

I cut the strap off the Instep, as it was not functional for me. These last many years of use, and I can walk over sharp stones and gravel easily with them. I can't imagine a surface I could not walk over with them. In water performance wise, these would be exponentially better than Rock Boots.

Can I ask you if you're using these with a drysuit? These boots are meant to fit over a bare foot. With a drysuit you have a couple of layers of booties already (socks plus the suit bootie) so I think if he tries this he will find he will need a such a large size of boot to accommodate the width there will be extra length with a space that will fill up with water. The rockboot is especially cut wide to accommodate the width with the drysuit.

Thank you guys for your reply.

Bob, I was hoping you might have a better idea than silicone as although does it does help, I have to constantly reapply. Nice to hear from the man himself!

Danvolker, Hatul is right. I have a DUI drysuit with ridiculously amount of extra fabric at the feet so I would have a hard time getting them into either bootie you mentioned, although as you mentioned, I probably finned easier with a similar bootie than with rock boots way back when.

Hatul, I have a size 6 DUI boot and do not feel my feet pinched. I just can't get them off easily, so loosening the bungee might not do anything although maybe my boot wouldn't be shoved so hard into the fin. I'll have to try it.

What brand of rock boots are you using? I use DUI size 7 rockboots and I found the XL too small, so my drysuit Force Fins Pro are size XXL and these fit the best.

I recall when I tried XL the fin was squeezing my foot. You could also see if you can loosen the bungee strap a bit.

---------- Post added January 8th, 2015 at 07:50 PM ----------

Can I ask you if you're using these with a drysuit? These boots are meant to fit over a bare foot. With a drysuit you have a couple of layers of booties already (socks plus the suit bootie) so I think if he tries this he will find he will need a such a large size of boot to accommodate the width there will be extra length with a space that will fill up with water. The rockboot is especially cut wide to accommodate the width with the drysuit.

I prefer to use wetsuits, because of the slowness and high drag of dry suits...but I do have a DUI TLS 350 dry suit, I use for tech diving--where a wetsuit becomes paper thick and useless :)

However, the Drysuit I have was ordered with the neoprene sock like feet at the ends of the legs, so I am able to use the style of bootie that I showed here...though a size larger to accommodate the insulation.
When I first got the Rock boots with the DUI suit, I was shocked that what was such a great mfg of Dry suits, would not have known a little more about propulsion in the water, and the need for good articulation of your ankle, etc...

I keep them in my dive closet ( the rock boots), just to show people one of the worst dive products ever sold.

I'm gonna try that. It might be a more lasting fix. Thanks!

Also make sure the bungee is loose. The bungee hardly needs to touch the boot, just keep the boot from sliding out. I suspect the XL is the right size for you. If the wax wears off, Armor All, makes surfaces slippery and helps to preserve, so that may be another thing to try on your boots.

Back
Top Bottom