dry box for glasses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking into a trip to Bonaire, but as most of you know, leaving anything in the vehicles that one rents to access the dive sites there is not a wise idea. You pretty much need to take everything with you, or leave it at your room. That leaves a problem for those of us with glasses. What sort of dry box do you guys recommend for taking them with you on a dive? What I have seen so far has either been too big and clunky to fit into a BC somewhere, or has been highly questionable as to it's integrity for diving. Anyone have any ideas?

WOODMAN:
I am looking into a trip to Bonaire, but as most of you know, leaving anything in the vehicles that one rents to access the dive sites there is not a wise idea. You pretty much need to take everything with you, or leave it at your room. That leaves a problem for those of us with glasses. What sort of dry box do you guys recommend for taking them with you on a dive? What I have seen so far has either been too big and clunky to fit into a BC somewhere, or has been highly questionable as to it's integrity for diving. Anyone have any ideas?
Get one of these, throw a lanyard on it and wear it around your neck. It's what I do. Or you could stuff it into a pocket, it's not going to bend. LP also sells some little Otter boxes, but they're slightly wider, so might not fit in your BC pocket.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/ItemIndex_98/CategoryID_970/Context_965/Sort_SKU/DescSort_0/WTZW.html

P.S. Don't believe everything you read. By the end of the week, we were leaving stuff in the truck and nobody touched it. Including my sunglasses, which I left on the seat in town one day accidentally with the windows down. Can't do that here. The only place you want to be a little careful is when you're at the northern sites alone. Along the south, there's usually somebody entering/leaving the water nearby and there's an occasional car going by 50 yds. away.

I use a Marsoops Floating Eyeglass Holder, like halfway down the page here.

Attaches and works like a fat Croakie when attached to your glasses. Nice on a boat, since it's supposed to float your glasses.

But I use it for shore diving, where I need to see where I'm going before putting my (corrective) mask on. The pad is actually a soft snapped case, made of about 2mm neoprene. You can put your glasses completely into it without taking the holder off the eyeglass temples. Has a delrin snap, which I clip off inside a BC pocket.

Won't protect against bending your eyeglass frame, but that's never been a problem... I figure scratching a lens is a greater risk.

Doesn't keep the glasses dry, of course; but I don't think there's anything on my glasses that would rust... like, the temple screws are brass, I think. In any case, no problems there so far, either.

And no depth limit.

--Marek

If you Need to keep the glasses dry to avoid oxidation you may want to use a short piece of pvc pipe just large enough in diameter to accommodate the glasses and permanently glue a cap on one end and use a screw in plug (or screw on cap) on the other. I have seen folks take their glasses down with them in cases that were not water tight, but they just used the case for protection against breakage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom