How do I free up a Zipper 'frozen' or salt embedded?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmj5393

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone give me advice on how to free up a metal zipper on plastic on my regulator bag that must have salt. Have a possible buyer for gear & hate to cut the bag...

Thanks, :depressed:

Soak it in (luke) warm fresh water for a while and that should dissolve the salt particles. Then slowly work the zipper until totally free. At least I think that will help. Worked on my boots.

Also, if it is a plastic zipper WD-40 will distroy the zipper.

I use an old toothbrush and warm water, and just gently brush along the zipper and occassionally try to make it work. The bristles from the toothbrush should help to dislodge and agitate the salt crystals, as well as controlling the amount of water you are applying.

Toss it into a tub of hot water today. Work the zipper loose tomorrow.

Is the Reg in the bag and you cannot get at it as is? I personally woul err on the side of caution and not apply hot water to it if the reg is still in the bag. Can anybody say if hot (versus warm) water can do any damage to a Reg (obviously the two terms are very subjective)?

Thanks everyone. :cool2:
The reg, spare, SPG, compass & computer are in the 'frozen' bag. I tried soaking but it was cold water. I will try warm water, vinegar & tooth brush. If that fails, I'll cut open the bag. Dive shop said they're only $20 to replace.

Back
Top Bottom