carry-on Vs. Checked luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vertaqua

Reaction score
I'm going to be going on a dive vacation in a week and I want to know what everyone checks and carrys on to the plane. I was thinking that I should carry on anything that i can't rent when I get there(mask fins etc), my reg and computer. Then check everything else.

Everything else gets checked.

Make sure your knife and pony bottle/spare air are not in your carry on luggage. The vis at Guantanamo Bay is very poor...:D
:snorkel:ScubaRon

I wouldn't try to carry my fins; too long, but your's may be shorter.

I do carry almost everything I can in two pieces:

(1) a rolling bag that will fit in the overhead of regular jets, but has to be gate-checked on commuters and regionals. I usually get it right back when I walk off the plane.

In it, I'll carry clothes, swim suit & flipflops, and personal stuff i'd need for the first 24 hours, if my checked luggage didn't make it, plus my computers, my octo-reg, my prescription mask, and anything else I can get in there. I also carry photocopies of my passport, travelrs checks, and all IDs.

(2) a small backpack, that passes as a "laptop bag" with medicines, papers, passport, real travelers checks, and no one else ever gets this bag! I'll stick everything I normally carry in my pockets in this bag for easy screening and good control of lose itmes.

Additionally, I'll carry 3 credit cards - one in each carryon plus one in luggage. And I'll clean my nails at the airport, then stick my pocketknife in my dive bag.

don

Carry-on: Masks, reg set (including computer/compass), logbook, canister light head/cord/lid, toothbrush/paste, one change of clothes.
Any camera/camcorder also goes in the carry-on.

I check the canister itself and battery. I like to keep them separate so I don't have to worry about a security officer short-cycling the HID light. I keep copies of the Halcyon catalog page rubber banded to the light parts.

I am going to be taking a flight half way around the world in about a week. I am planning on checking all but my regulators and camera. I dont like the idea of losing my things, but simply dont have the space to carry on all of my expensive gear. So I will have to take my chances.

I would deffinately carry on my computer. I've see several posts where people have arrived at their destinations and found that their computers have accidently been activated during the flight and malfunctioned as a result of the change in pressure.

Also, one tip from an airline employee (me), place your cloths in your dive gear bag and your dive gear in your suit case. If anyone is going to brake into anything it's most likely going to be your gear bag thinking that it contains expensive dive gear. Suit cases usually only contain cloths so they will be less likely to mess with them.

Just my 2 cents.

Scott

Hi
I carry my regulator, computer and prescription mask on board. I was told by my LDS that static electricity in the hold of the aircraft causes damage to the computer rather than pressure. The rest of the gear gets checked through.

Be sure to get to the airport early because my carry on bag is almost always hand checked, particularly in airports where they see very little dive equipment.

Happy and Safe Diving

Ron

dandydon once bubbled...
I wouldn't try to carry my fins; too long, but your's may be shorter.

Your fins are too long then, for scuba, if they wont fit into your carry-on.

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...

Your fins are too long then, for scuba, if they wont fit into your carry-on.

How long are yours? Mine seem to be standard, but wouldn't fit the airline's idea of a carryon bag.

thanks, don

Back
Top Bottom