Success rate of boarding plane with Dive Caddy as carry on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDoo83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'd like to hear from folks with the Dive Caddy about their experiences while traveling with it as a carry on. I am wondering if it is a worthwhile purchase for my gear:

BCD: SP Knighthawk W/AIR2 - Medium
Wetsuit: Large 5mm
Fins: SP Twin Jet Max

Thoughts?

I have nothing but good things to say about mine. Made a live aboard trip to the Galapagos Islands with ONLY my Dive Caddy. No problems through security or getting it on plane. I have a buddy who has borrowed it twice, he has had equally good results. Watch their videos and learn how to pack it correctly. On our Galapagos trip, two divers gear did not arrive from checked luggage. It is really nice traveling and knowing your dive gear will arrive safely with you. My experience has been all positive.

I'd like to hear from folks with the Dive Caddy about their experiences while traveling with it as a carry on. I am wondering if it is a worthwhile purchase for my gear:

BCD: SP Knighthawk W/AIR2 - Medium
Wetsuit: Large 5mm
Fins: SP Twin Jet Max

Thoughts?

Great, thanks guys. I can't seem to find the dimensions of my fins but eyeballing them it seems that are mid sized compared to others out there. I think I'll give this thing a go.

United recently started enforcing their carry-on size restriction. United Airlines Enforces Carry-On Bag Size Restrictions | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
The maximum dimensions for a carry-on bag are 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (22 cm x 35 cm x 56 cm), including handles and wheels.
Does it fit with your fins in it? I've been on full flights where I've been asked to gate-check my legal sized roller. Which at least has hard sides. And was returned to me at the luggage claim - in all fairness it was Bonaire where the "conveyor system" consists of one that they hand push bags along. Are you comfortable with your gear in a Dive Caddy going thru as checked luggage if it happened? I can't say that I would be.

I doubt the other airlines will be far behind in enforcing it either. Except maybe Southwest. Which just started flights to the Caribbean btw.

Back
Top Bottom