Need waterproof container to dive with, must be able to open underwater....details in

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FaithC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a close friend whose father was a WWII Submariner. He recently passed away and one of his wishes was that some of his ashes (1 1/2 cup) be released underwater in the Pacific. This is where he served and while on sick leave, his submarine never returned, hence his request to rest with his fellow sailors.

My friends know that I dive and that I am going to Hawaii this fall. They've asked me to do this for them and their father. I am incredibly honored.

I need recommendations for a waterproof container that I can take to 40 - 60 ft, that will fit the amount of specified cremains and be opened underwater fairly easily by me.

Nice. A ziplock bag inside a ziplock bag (for redundancy), and a knife or shears.

Ziplock bag and shears.

I'm a little concerned about securing it, I wouldn't want it to get away from me. I don't like using my BC pockets. Perhaps this is why I was thinking about some sort of pelican case with a carabiner that I could attach to a d-ring.

Water may be forced into the ziplock bag, but since there is not outward pressure the ashes won't escape. I too would just go with a simple ziplock bag, as the end goal is to release them into the water, so the ashes getting wet is not a problem. You should be able to open the bag, swirl it around to remove a majority of the ashes. Then if you have a lot remaining, tear or cut the bag open. Please bring the plastic bag back to properly dispose of it.

Why does it need to be waterproof? Any non-waterproof container that is more dignified than a Zip-Lock will do. The problem when a water-tight and pressure resistant container is you would have to equalize it at depth to open it unless you top it off with water first. Also consider that happens to the remains when it gets wet and you want to remove it from the container. A long tube may not be the best choice.

You might not want to advertise your intensions because most states require permits to spread ashes.

I'm a little concerned about securing it, I wouldn't want it to get away from me. I don't like using my BC pockets. Perhaps this is why I was thinking about some sort of pelican case with a carabiner that I could attach to a d-ring.

Okay, take a little pelican case, take out the liner, insert zip lock bag with ashes............wait, can you open a pelican case under pressure?

I was thinking waterproof so that it doesn't accidentally flood and open before its time.

Back
Top Bottom