FS: EPIRB with underwater canister

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vladimir

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
McMurdo Pains Wessex Fastfind Plus 406 PLB EPIRB w/ Internal GPS:

landfallnav_2024_9019744.gif

When activated in an emergency the McMurdo Pains Wessex Fastfind Plus 406Mhz alert signal, along with your person identity information and your exact location (within 98 feet), is transmitted to Cospas-Sarsat satellites, and forwarded to a rescue coordination center — typically within 3 minutes. At the same time, its local 121.5Mhz homing signal begins broadcasting, allowing rescue personnel to find you fast, without any wasted time or effort. The Fastfind Plus is waterproof, of course: its pressure-resistance allows it to be used even by divers, check out the dive canister as well. Has an integral device to fasten to a lifejacket or foul weather gear. Battery is good for 5 years without use, 24 hours constant use, and is user-replaceable. Weighs 11 ounces, measures 3" x 6" x 2.1". FCC Approved July 1, 2003

This underwater housing is specifically designed to protect the unique satellite alerting Fastfind:

landfallnav_2023_33406999.jpg

These two items together cost me about $1,000, about three years ago. They'd cost $844 new right now:

Pains Wessex Fastfind Plus 406 PLB EPIRB

Mine was underwater for a ten-day-liveaboard-trip's worth of dives. The EPIRB itself never left the canister and has never been wet. It has never been test-fired and is in "like-new" condition, except, obviously, the battery. Please note that the above pictures are from the Landfall Navigation website.

$500 plus shipping from Singapore. Payment by Paypal.

My girlfriend will only be in Singapore for 2 more weeks, so our window of opportunity is rapidly closing. New price: $400 plus shipping.

My girlfriend will only be in Singapore for 2 more weeks, so our window of opportunity is rapidly closing. New price: $400 plus shipping.

Hello Vladimir,

I may be interested in this unit if I can find out the shipping cost to Los Angeles. Do you happen to have a suggestion where I may find this info? Also, do you have the dimensions of the canister readily available. If not I'll look it up on the company site. Finally, how did you attach it to your BC or gear?

Best wishes,
Garv

Hello Vladimir,

I may be interested in this unit if I can find out the shipping cost to Los Angeles. Do you happen to have a suggestion where I may find this info? Also, do you have the dimensions of the canister readily available. If not I'll look it up on the company site. Finally, how did you attach it to your BC or gear?

Best wishes,
Garv

3 3/4 diameter 6 1/2 long. There is a slot on the side of the canister for for the tank band to go through (very secure the band will give before the canister)

Thanks, cdiver. Fred, those dimensions sound accurate to me and his description of the attachment method is correct as well. It'll be easy to look up the shipping costs--let me try to get you an accurate weight.

Do you still have this for sale?

Be aware that the eperb frequencies have officially changed this year. The old units transmit a frequency no longer being recieved. Make sure the frequencies are the correct ones before you buy.

Thanks Allison, I did not know that. The EPIRB that I offered does transmit on the 406 MHz frequency which is now the standard, in addition to the now-obsolete 121.5 Mhz frequency. The unit is in my apartment in Singapore and, since I am in Hong Kong with no plans to visit Singapore in the next two months at least, is not available for sale. Thank you for the interest, docbonezz.

Here's an article a quick search turned up:

Beginning January 1, 2007, older Emergency Positioning Indication Radio Beacons (EPIRBs) operating on the 121.5 MHz and 243 MHz frequencies will be prohibited from use by the U.S. Coast Guard. Commercial boats operating more than three miles off shore will be required to carry 406 MHz digital EPIRBs. In Hawaii, recreational vessels operating more than one mile offshore, unless otherwise equipped with a VHF radio, will be required to carry a USCG approved EPIRB as well.
This is a phase out that has been in the works since 1999 when the International Cospas-Sarsat Program announced it would terminate satellite processing of the 121.5 and 243 MHz frequencies emitted by older EPIRBs. The newer 406 MHz system greatly improves the functionality and accuracy of EPIRB units. The Division of Boating and Ocean Recreation (DOBOR) is encouraging all boaters to employ the new technology.

COSPAS-SARSAT is an international satellite-based search and rescue system established by the U.S., Russia, Canada and France to locate emergency radio beacons transmitting on the frequencies 121.5, 243 and 406 MHz. The termination date for use of the 121.5 and 243 MHz signals by COSPAS-SARSAT is February 1, 2009.

The new 406 MHz system is vastly superior and provides greater accuracy by using GPS in fixing a position in an emergency. Differences between the systems include:

-5 watts of power in the new EPIRB as compared to 0.1 watt with the old technology;
-Global coverage with the new system compared to 2/3 global coverage;

-Beacon ID combined with registration data allows for rapid verification and launch or standown. With the old system, alerts are anonymous and no data is transmitted about the beacon owner;

-1-3 nautical mile accuracy for non GPS units. Better than 300 feet accuracy if GPS equipped. The old system has an accuracy range of 12-15 nautical miles;

-Survivor location limits search to 25 square nautical miles. The old system limits search area to 500 square nautical miles;

-Low false alerts, about 1 in 12. In the old system, fewer than 2 in 1000 alerts are legitimate distress calls.

EPIRB manufacturers have been making 406 MHz units since 2003. Prices for the new EPIRBs range from around $600 for the CAT I manual beacons to over $1,100 for the automatic CAT II units.

For boaters that have chosen to equip their boats with radios as opposed to EPIRBs, DOBOR recommends that any boater traveling beyond the reliable range of a VHF radio, about 25 miles, carry a 406 MHz EPIRB onboard their vessel.

New users are required to register their beacon for the 406 MHz Beacon Registration Database by phone in the U.S. at 1-800-212-7283 or at: Emergency Beacon Registration Redirection Welcome Page.

The new regulation which take effect in January applies to all Class A, B and S 121.5/243 MHz EPIRBs. It does not apply to 121.5/243 MHz man overboard devices.

Thanks Allison, I did not know that. The EPIRB that I offered does transmit on the 406 MHz frequency which is now the standard, in addition to the now-obsolete 121.5 Mhz frequency. The unit is in my apartment in Singapore and, since I am in Hong Kong with no plans to visit Singapore in the next two months at least, is not available for sale. Thank you for the interest, docbonezz.

Here's an article a quick search turned up:

You are correct your unit doe's work on the OFFICIAL 406 MHz Frq, also most ships/aircraft equipped with radios will still be able to pick up and direction find 121.5 MHz frq

Thanks cdiver2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom