Diver dies at Racha Yai/Phuket last Wednesday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoonWrasse

Contributor
Reaction score
I've heard he still had 130 bar in his tank.

http://www.phuketgazette.com/news/index.asp?id=4861

Japanese tourist dies while diving

KOH RACHA YAI: Japanese tourist Akira Egoshi, 24, died while diving in Siam Bay, off Koh Racha Yai, on Wednesday.

Pol Lt Col Chana Sutthimas, an Inspector with the Chalong Police, told the Gazette that a party of 11 Japanese tourists led by four dive masters from Kata Diving Co Ltd left Chalong Pier aboard the dive boat Laddawan 5 at 8:20 am, bound for Koh Racha Yai.

“The crew of Laddawan 5 called in at about 4 pm to report that a diver was missing,” he said. “At that time, their divers were still looking for him.”

Col Chana said that it seemed Mr Egoshi had swam away from the rest of the divers and had become snagged on a rock. Unable to free himself, he had run out of oxygen.

Marine Police responded to the Laddawan 5 crew’s call for help and launched a search for Mr Egoshi, Col Chana said.

“His body was found and taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital, where it was identified. We are continuing our investigation into the incident,” he added.

The Gazette made repeated attempts today to contact senior management at Kata Dive Co Ltd but without success.

wow, that's really sad. what a way to go... my condolences to his family. but, where was his buddy or DM...? 4DM to 11 Divers? wonder how the viz was.

The viz was good. I just heard it was an Open Water Student, so that makes me wonder even more what ahppened exactly. With a certified diver it can happen that they are further away than buddy or DM feels comfortable with, but with an OW student?

Is Siam Bay the official name for Bungalow Bay? I remembered the waters there to be relatively calm and sheltered. Not much currents there either.. maybe he drifted off the north side of the island?

No, Siam Bay, sometimes also called Barracuda Bay, is the bay next to Bungalow Bay. A lot nicer corals, not as deep, but also smaller, so maybe a bit less sheltered. But not much current as well. The diver was found within 10 minutes after arrival on the spot by the Navy Divers, and in the bay.

my condolences!
but, i really don't know what to say!
there's a risk in any activity!
i always say to my parents when they voice concern about my diving is that, statistically, it's more dangerous to cross the road than it is to go diving!

all we can learn from this is that we should be careful and take all necessary precautions when we endulge in any activities...

and that includes crossing the road!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom