White Manta / Black Manta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Traminer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Now that the Black Manta has been running for sometime in the Singapore/Phuket region,
was just wondering if there are anyone here who can share their experiences with regards to the accomodations onboard and the diving.

Some friends and I are thinking about doing a trip with them to Malaysia and just wondering about comfort levels.

Go to one of their open houses and see for yourself.

My completely biased opinion is that there is no other ship / boat sailing around Singapore, Malaysia or nearby Indonesia that comes anywhere close to it in terms of accommodations. Think of it as a small floating 4-star hotel. I'd give it a higher rating but they only change the towels once a day. Also, there are two cabins that don't actually have an attached bathroom (but they are supposed to be for the DMs). Finally, there are some sofas in the lounge area that do not provide completely unobstructed views of the movie screen. Other than that, and the fact that they only have one masseuse, I think they are okay.

Oh shush... Zippsy... we know how you feel about them! Had posted it here instead of Fins to avoid giving you a conflict of interest.. :)

Are you stationed on WM this season? Was hoping to meet you guys sometime. Any more open houses coming up this month?

Yeah, no conflict here. :D I'll quietly let you know when the next open house is. None are scheduled at the moment though.

I've only been on one trip to the Black Manta this year because all the instructors and DMs are queuing up to work on it. I'm even having trouble booking leisure trips on it because they are booked up too far in advance for me. I can usually be found, however, teaching, guiding or clowning around on the White Manta.

...and Batfish, the ship is based in Singapore at the Keppel Marina until November when it goes back to Phuket.

Zippsy:
Yeah, no conflict here. :D I'll quietly let you know when the next open house is. None are scheduled at the moment though.

I've only been on one trip to the Black Manta this year because all the instructors and DMs are queuing up to work on it. I'm even having trouble booking leisure trips on it because they are booked up too far in advance for me. I can usually be found, however, teaching, guiding or clowning around on the White Manta.

...and Batfish, the ship is based in Singapore at the Keppel Marina until November when it goes back to Phuket.

I had a chance to sail on her maiden voyage here in Phuket, but couldn't make the timing work. I did board her, though, and took a little tour. She's lovely.

I thought there's a open house for BM on the 25th of May ?

Thinking of a trip onboard the WM/BM to similans in nov/dec

Zippy, the Mermaid I / II do not come close ?

Stonefish, I do not know the boats in Thailand so I can not do that comparison. I beelieve that there many up there though so I'd be foolish to claim the BM is better. I've seen pictures of the outside of the Mermaids and it's funny but the Black Manta looks durn similar. Coincidence? You decide.

Yes, open house is on 25 May.

still trying to convince my dive buddy for a LOB trip to similans. assuming my buddy is convinced, will have to decide between mermaid or manta.

Anyway, i will like to be there at the open house, but darn, not really free on that day. hope that there will be another open house after may... :D

Actually, I'll change my mind a little. Mind you that I'm biased and I have not seen the Mermaid I & II in person but from the pictures and description on the website, I would definitely prefer the Black Manta.

Back
Top Bottom