Andaman Sea in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

delbhoy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
Last year I completed my advanced open water course in Koh Tao, Thailand. I wish to return to Thailand this year and I was hoping to try some diving in the Andaman Sea, staying in Koh Phi Phi.

However I understand that August may not be the best time of year for diving in the Andaman sea! Has anyone had any experience diving in the Andaman Sea during the month of August? Unfortunately I can only travel during the 1st two weeks of August and will be accompanied by some friends who wish to complete an open water course.

Would the Andaman Sea be a viable option or would I be better of returning to Koh tao in the Gulf of Thailand.

Many Thanks
D

The "rainy" season in Phuket is between May and October. This does NOT mean that it will be horrible weather all the time during those months. There will be some periods with rough weather and rain (like now!) and then some calm periods with sunny weather and fairly calm seas. Daily dive trips to all major daytrip dive destinations are running throughout the rainy season. Maybe only once or twice a season daytrips are cancelled because of the weather.
There's even a few operators who will do short liveaboard trips to the Similan Islands during the rainy season.
July and August are often nice in Phuket with little rain and fairly calm seas. May and beginning of June can be wet, and often September is fairly wet as well.

I'd come to Phuket if I were you mainly because of a better choice of dive destinations. You've been to Ko Tao already so maybe now is a good time to try the Andaman Sea. Your friends will be able to do a great Open Water Diver course in Phuket. Contact either Phuket Scuba Club (friendly,patient and professional) or Sea Bees (great daytrip dive boats, professional outfit).

Diving in the Phi Phi and Phuket area continues year round. August IS in the low season, but does tend to have quite stable weather. For sure you will have more sun than rain. You also have some advantages - less crowded dive sites (compared to Koh Tao in August - peak season), and cheap hotel prices. And besides, I always think the diving on the Andaman side is better than the Gulf. Way more variety of sites.

For your reading pleasure:

Phi Phi Dive Sites

Phuket Dive Sites

Gulf of Thailand Dive Sites

Try this for a weather report August 2005 (Phuket)

Hi Bowmouth and Batfish,

Thanks a million for your informative replies. The Andaman sea does seem to offer more diverse diving than the gulf. I will check out the links you have posted.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom