Tioman Vs Perhenthians

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nalini

Reaction score
We are planning a trip in mid oct. preferably to malaysia. I have dived in seychelles, Maldives, Koh Tao, Koh Samui and Lakshadweep(India). Have seen tons of fish life. Now looking for some colour in live corals. Plus a few pelagics and my dives are made.

Pls advise if Tioman or Perhenthians will give me this. How are they compared to Koh Tao? Compared to Madives?

Also, is the weather ok in mid Oct or will we drown in the rain?

Thanks

Hi

I met a DM about a week ago who told me that the Perenthians basically shut down in October because of the wet season - why not email a dive centre there and ask. I don't know about the Tioman Islands.

Anni

Tioman and Perhentians are on the same stretch of coast, and yes, they close down from end of October through to end of March due to the monsoon. The seas will be too rough for diving and it will be rain-rain-rain all the way.

You can contact Coral Sky Divers on Perhential Kecil (small island) to check on dates. You may still make it if you're planning on going in Mid October.
Contact Person: Erika Antoniazzo
www.coralskydivers.com
Ph. +60 (0)10 9101963.

BTW, the corals are much healthier in Perhentians.

but others are right with the monsoon, it might be difficult the islands.
However I went there last year and it was middle september, we had no difficulties reaching Perhentian Besar. We stayed at Mama's place and dived with the Turtle Bay Divers.
Perhentian "was " really more enjoyable that Tioman. I say was because it has started becoming as touristic and by consequence aslo a little bit more crowded in the last years. I say taht based on my feelings (I went first time in Malaysia in 1998 and stayed there for 1 year and a half then I went again in 2001 for vacation this time). My diving experience says that I enjoyed diving around Perhentian, there are a lot of spots and I have never been disappointed with the diving centers and instructors there (Sea Horse, Turtle Bay Divers, and an another one on the small south beach of kecil, where in fact I started my PADI OW). I went once on Tioman and, have I been unlucky? May be. But the instructor was simply ignoring basic rules, and uninteresting: pure commercial structure.
I never came back again to Tioman to double check that. But I did go a lot of time more in Perhentian. One more fact Perhentian is wilder and not as easy to reach than Tioman (there is an airport on Tioman). Follow the advice of neve: try to contact Diving centers on Perhentian (www.turtlebaydivers.com might work, I don't guarantee the exact wording ;--) ).
Enjoy your trip.

Back
Top Bottom