Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Tioman Vs Perhenthians

New User

Has not set a "status"

Question Tioman Vs Perhenthians

We are planning a trip in mid oct. preferably to malaysia. I have dived in seychelles, Maldives, Koh Tao, Koh Samui and Lakshadweep(India). Have seen tons of fish life. Now looking for some colour in live corals. Plus a few pelagics and my dives are made.

Pls advise if Tioman or Perhenthians will give me this. How are they compared to Koh Tao? Compared to Madives?

Also, is the weather ok in mid Oct or will we drown in the rain?

Thanks

Registered

Has not set a "status"

perenthians

Hi

I met a DM about a week ago who told me that the Perenthians basically shut down in October because of the wet season - why not email a dive centre there and ask. I don't know about the Tioman Islands.

Anni

Registered

Need a Nitrogen fix

Originally from Bali, but now in Singapore
    Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos

Tioman and Perhentians are on the same stretc...

Tioman and Perhentians are on the same stretch of coast, and yes, they close down from end of October through to end of March due to the monsoon. The seas will be too rough for diving and it will be rain-rain-rain all the way.

You can contact Coral Sky Divers on Perhential Kecil (small island) to check on dates. You may still make it if you're planning on going in Mid October.
    Contact Person: Erika Antoniazzo
    www.coralskydivers.com
    Ph. +60 (0)10 9101963.

BTW, the corals are much healthier in Perhentians.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

I would say Perhentian...

but others are right with the monsoon, it might be difficult the islands.
    However I went there last year and it was middle september, we had no difficulties reaching Perhentian Besar. We stayed at Mama's place and dived with the Turtle Bay Divers.
    Perhentian "was " really more enjoyable that Tioman. I say was because it has started becoming as touristic and by consequence aslo a little bit more crowded in the last years. I say taht based on my feelings (I went first time in Malaysia in 1998 and stayed there for 1 year and a half then I went again in 2001 for vacation this time). My diving experience says that I enjoyed diving around Perhentian, there are a lot of spots and I have never been disappointed with the diving centers and instructors there (Sea Horse, Turtle Bay Divers, and an another one on the small south beach of kecil, where in fact I started my PADI OW). I went once on Tioman and, have I been unlucky? May be. But the instructor was simply ignoring basic rules, and uninteresting: pure commercial structure.
    I never came back again to Tioman to double check that. But I did go a lot of time more in Perhentian. One more fact Perhentian is wilder and not as easy to reach than Tioman (there is an airport on Tioman). Follow the advice of neve: try to contact Diving centers on Perhentian (www.turtlebaydivers.com might work, I don't guarantee the exact wording ;--) ).
    Enjoy your trip.
    MichaelFins