Raja Ampat. Can't decide!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wahlaoeh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi there,

My buddy & I are planning a Raja Ampat trip (two weeks) next year & are considering few options. I've read & heard that the best way to explore Raja Ampat via LOB. How many days is most favorable? More days = More $$$ = Not Good. I also came across this website (http://www.papua-diving.com/Diving-general.html) that offers land based diving in Papua which sounds equally good & also a cheaper option to the LOB. So, here I am, in a dilemma on which option to go with.

Appreciate anyone out there that has been to both to offer some advice to help us decide. Thanks, thanks....

Option 1: 12D/11N Lembeh - Halmahera - Raja Ampat LOB
Option 2: 1 week land based Papuan & 1 week 7D/6N Raja Ampat LOB
Option 3: 1 week land based Bunaken/Lembeh & 7D/6N Raja Amapt LOB

Happy bubbles.
Jovin-

wahlaoeh:
Hi there,

Appreciate anyone out there that has been to both to offer some advice to help us decide. Thanks, thanks....

Option 1: 12D/11N Lembeh - Halmahera - Raja Ampat LOB
Option 2: 1 week land based Papuan & 1 week 7D/6N Raja Ampat LOB
Option 3: 1 week land based Bunaken/Lembeh & 7D/6N Raja Amapt LOB

Happy bubbles.
Jovin-

They're ALL good options. The four kings (Raja Ampat) is a FABULOUS place to dive either land based or liveaboard. The ONLY thing you that's relevant is that on a Liveaboard you will get MORE dives for your money (up to 5 dives a day) where-as the landbased resorts offer in general only 3 dives.
Now GO and enjoy!:D

I will be able to give you good info at the end of Feb. I am leaving Jan 29th for a long trip on the LOB Odyssea in Raja Ampat. After that trip we will be heading for a land base stay in Lembeh at the Kasawari Lodge for a week. When I get back, I promise yo give you the "poop'.
Just remember, LOB prices get cheaper when you figure the overall value;
. Lodging (50.00-100.00 a day?)
. Up to 5 meals a day
. 5 dives a day (at 50.00-80.00 a piece)
. Some LOB's include some wines with meals
. New dive site all the time with minimum fuss
. NO LUGGING GEAR TO BEACH!!

When you start adding it all up, it gets cheaper and cheaper.

If you're diving Raja Ampat I would pass on Bunaken - not nearly as good. If you are into muck diving then Lembeh is a must (no pretty reef stuff here). 5 resorts now that I know of. Just back from 7 wks in Indonesia, diving Lembeh (LR & KBR), RA aboard Ondina & Bali. I did Papua Diving 2 yrs ago at the Eco Resort. VERY basic - thatched huts built on stilts over the water, no hot water, no a/c. They also have a new luxury resort down the beach. You can dive alot more areas on a liveaboard than land based, but alot of RA boats seem to offer 10day trips. Is 2 wks your total trip or just dive days? A few travel days are required to do all this. 2 wks total will be kinda tight. Just things to think about.

Hi all, thanks for the input.

jcclink: 7 weeks diving in Indonesia. I am jealous. Unfortunately, I only have 2 weeks planned for Raja Ampat next year. I can pass on Bunaken & Lembeh cos' I've done that 3 times already. So, am I going to miss out alot if I am not going on a LOB?

Jovin-

Dear Bon Jovi,

Speak to Max Ammer (he's the Dutch guy who runs Papua Diving).

He is THE MAN regarding diving in Papua, he has lived there for 15 years and he does run lb from his resorts, not only beach dives. He is personally credited with finding nearly 50 ww2 wrecks in the area.

You just need to speak to him and see if you and 'your buddy' can fit into the boat schedule.

p.s. you'll miss out on a lot if you don't go to Jakarta first !!!!!

All dives at Papua Diving are by boat but usually just one dive then back to resort until time for next dive. Lots of great dive sites but you're restricted in the area that can be covered by day boat. "Passage" at Gam Island is about the farthest from the resort they dive. I was very impressed with a little island near Misool called Fiabacet. You can only dive this area by liveaboard. 2 wk trip will give you about 10 days diving RA + travel time. You will have some great diving regardless.

Special scoop charter for March 3rd - 14th 2007 aboard MV Odyssea 1.
Join us for a 12 day cruise, diving Raja Ampat & Misool areas of Papua (Iryan Jaya).
Save around 25% off normal price just $2400.00 per person.
Only 6 places left!

Heres a few images from the last trip in December 06.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_who...780429/detail/

I'll be on the Odyssea, leaving on the 29th. I'll be back the end of Feb. Just in time to tell you how smart you were to sign up for the above trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom