Diving In India?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody has been to India and gone diving.

For a tropical country, with a ton of coastline it doesn't seem to get a lot of talk in the diving world. Perhaps because the water is murky, or over-polluted, but with so many miles of beach, there's got to be something out there.

If anybody can give any info on diving within the mainland of India (What can I expect to see, temperatures, etc?) or islands which are Indian terroritories I'd appreciate it. Also please share any of your experiences if you have been.

I have spent well over a year travelling around India and have never seen a Dive op, I think the Maldives in Indian territory.

I've been from Visakhaputnam down to Madurai in the south on the east coast and the coastal waters were pretty much brown (I DID see some pretty nice looking waves though). The salinity drops into the 20s during the rainy season from major river runoff. A large part of the Himalayas drain into the Bay of Bengal.

Interesting stuff.

The Maldives aren't part of India, but Laccadives Island group (North of Maldives) off the Kerala coast are.

They are pretty much the same as the Maldives from images I've seen.

And Hank, you are correct. From what I've seen the water never looks really clear in pictures. It's either brown, or a dark blue. :(

On the tourist sites they always show fake pictures of Goa as well it seems. Because Goa doesn't look like it has very clear water from tourist pics.

Probably the most interesting area to visit to dive in India are the Andaman Islands. To get a little bit an idea of what it has to offer visit the following site :
http://www.barefootindia.com/contents/fe/home.aspx

Another option is to book a spot on one of the (rare) Andaman Islands liveaboard cruises from Thailand based dive operators.

Bowmouth:
Probably the most interesting area to visit to dive in India are the Andaman Islands. To get a little bit an idea of what it has to offer visit the following site :
http://www.barefootindia.com/contents/fe/home.aspx

Another option is to book a spot on one of the (rare) Andaman Islands liveaboard cruises from Thailand based dive operators.

Wow, that place looks incredible. I'll really look into it.

Thanks a ton. Great site link as well. I've searched for the Andaman Islands before, but most of the sites seemed to be old and out-dated, with pictures taken on the Great Barrier Reef (Online copied probably).

I travelled down the east coast and up the west and the water is brown all the way round, as for Goa it never looks as nice as the pics you see.

Sri Lanka has really good diving. It's not too far off the southern tip of India. Unfortunately, the best diving is in some of the "touchier" areas.

I just did some brilliant dives at Netrani Island in Karnataka in the first week of February. There are no local diveshops there, but there are diveshops in Goa that organise dive safari's to Netrani. I contacted DiveGoa, and they set up the dives for me. Their website is www.divegoa.com. The dive crew was very professional, and the rental gear was in very good shape.

Netrani was about a 4 hour drive from Goa, and the vis there was about 20 m on the four dives that I did there.. there were a huge variety of fish there, large groupers, snappers, triggerfish, Cobia, and Moray eels everywhere.. I totally enjoyed the dives. Nothing to beat diving in warm clear water! :)

I did a few dives at Goa as well, where the vis was much lower (about 5m) on an average, but there was a nice shipwreck to explore, with plenty of fish around, and there was a surprising amount of plate and whip coral around the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom