Liveaboards - Maldives????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gjack

New
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for info on any really good experiences on liveaboards in the Maldives. I intend going during Dec this year. I would greatly appreciate any other advice. If you could supply contact no.s and names

Thanking you in advance

Grahame

Hi, welcome to the boards. Ive never been to the Maldives, so Im also intersted to know what the best time of the year is to dive there.

So, to all the experts... we need your help !!! :D Thanks.

Bailed last minute because of coral bleaching, August is the worst time of year to go, coupled with the cost (not a big discount going during the way rainy season when many boats aren't running). But, I did extensive research, talked to many people who had been, read several travel books and surfed the web quite a bit. http://www.visitmaldives.com. Gives a comprehensive listing of all registerd resorts and dive boats.

One of the books I read, Dive Maldives by Tim Godfrey was quite helpful. Although there were several options I was considering, I wanted to spend a few days at the Ellaidhoo resort on North Ari Atoll, and a liveaboard on the atoll that looks like a boot (Easternmost point in the Maldives).

Hello & Greetings:
I frequently visit Maldives and it does offer some splendid diving. Matter of fact I was there in July this year just as I will be visiting it in December as well as around July the next year too.

To begin with let me tell you that Maldives does not adhere very much to the general preceptions of convetional travel destintions.

Most places in Maldives can be dived all through the year. However July is amidst the rainy season and also one of the best periods to visit the place if one is more keen to dive and sight the phelagic marine life more frequently.

About the choice of accmodation options there a plenty and mostly every resort has well equiped dive bases. The rates though can be vastly varying and it is easy for one to make the wrong choice with a lot of regret later and no escape but to suffer and go through an individually unsatisfactory trip.

The expenditure over diving although does not vary much though it is around $ 25 per dive (if one plans to do more than 20 dives)and can go up to about $ 35 each (if one plans to do less than 10 dives) besides about 10 /12 $ extra per dive for other spurious kinds of taxes. The charges I mention are exclusive of equipment rentals which do workout to be exhorbitant, therfore if you have your own it is always a good idea to carry it (as I do). If nothing else it will save you a lot of unnecessary wastefull expenditure over rentals.

The choice of accmodation facility is what one has to be cautious about cause most times there are too many in between lines which leave the visitor running short of what he/she expected without having to shell out more green.

Well if there is more specific information on which youd like me to elaborate or you'd like to see a few picutres of the marine life there, do feel free to email me and I'd be glad to furnish you with the facts on it along with the pictures.

Until then ....

Neville.
Ps. In case we dont get to keep in touch I hope you have an enjoyable vacation.

Back
Top Bottom