Manta, Whale shark in Maldives (april/May)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeacockMantis

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I might be able to go to the Maldives for 2 weeks (end of April/beginning May).

What would be the best location to see manta's or whale sharks (or both :D).
Looks like occurances of these beautiful animals are decreasing, but any help would be welcome.

Thanx,

I learned to dive when I was in the Maldives Jan 08. Stayed at Summer Island on the North Ari Atol. I was lucky enough to see a Manta but no Whale Sharks. According to one of the guys you usually have to head to one of the more southerly islands like Guam. Also informed that you need to time it right with the plankton, the later in the year you go then the plankton levels drop and less chance to spot either.

Will be heading back to the same island in three weeks, hope you enjoy where ever you decide to go

We went to Vilamendhoo last summer and saw whale sharks in the South Ari Atoll. Euro divers run the dive centre and were keeping count of how many they'd seen each month, usually in the tens. Not guaranteed, but a great place to dive anyway. Here's a shot of one we saw.

Attachments

• Whaleshark.jpg
    Whaleshark.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 1,224
Hi kkfok,

They saw alot last year. When we were, they were seeing them every week. Check out the Euodivers web site and email them for more up to date information, Euro-Divers - Vilamendhoo

Regards
Jon

Hi All,

Lately there are lots of whale shark sighting around Maamingili beyru, holiday beyru and the whole outer reef around there.

If you want to see manta i would recommend you to choose a liveaboard and go to ari atoll. Manta points: ranagali madivaru, dhonkalo thila, himendhoo thila.
These are great sites for mantas and last weeks loads of manta's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom