Eagle Ray Liveaboard 12-19 March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gee13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All

Im booked to Maldives on the Eagle Ray. Can't wait. Apparently I have confirmation that Manik will be on board. Anyone from this board going? Apparently there are 3 spaces left - at US 1600 for the 7 Nights. Its Whale Shark season as well.

Anyone recently dive on it?

Best Regards

SO......I have just arrived back from this trip - Not only did we get to dive with multiple large Mantas, got lucky snorkelling with a 10m whale shark, on our last leg of the tour we spotted schooling Eagle Rays and Hammerheads! Even saw dolphins for the first time from underwater. Grey Reef Sharks, White Tips aplenty. Add to that the endless array of corals and tropical fish life from the smallest to the largest fish on earth. What more could one ask?

Most of the diving is in strong currents up to 4 knots, its certainly not for the faint hearted or inexperienced. The currents do promote some pretty awesome visibility we usually had 30-40m average on most dives. Water was 27 C all around the many atolls. Many dives are conducted around the channel openings and depend on inflow or outflow currents for dive plans. Some of the dives are also around ‘Thilas’ or pinnacles. Diving is usually within the group with the whole dive site to yourself which is what I enjoyed most. Goodbye to those popularist supermarket sites where all you see is a wall of bubbles and dive groups. We were a small group of 6 divers out of the boat's 14 pax. So with 2 very good DMs on most dives ratio was 1:3. The boat is very clean and comfortable, particularly the lounge. AC works well and the crew friendly and efficient. They also took us to an uninhabited island where we got to spend dinner over candlelight under a starry night.

I didn’t see any signs of commercial fish boats, in fact most of the atolls are marine sanctuaries. Sometimes you would see some of the effects of 1998’s El nino which had bleached out many corals, but there are are healthy signs of recovery and there have been many a coral garden filled with colourful, table tops, gorgonians, brain, elkhorn and many thilas littered with colourful telesto soft coral.

Dive Site highlights include Marivadu (Hammerhead Point) at Rashdoo Atoll, Kudara Thila, Five Rocks (Sth Ari Atoll) Maaya Thila (North Ari) Night Dive, and the mysterious site only known to Eagle Ray where we got 50 private minutes with 3 Mantas.

Thanks to Manik for providing a great and memorable trip along with some excellent company of divers to share the memories. Here are some shots I managed to get out of my compact.

Attachments

• P3120130.JPG
    P3120130.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 42
  • P3140620.JPG
    P3140620.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 32
  • P3140704.JPG
    P3140704.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 37
  • P3140772.JPG
    P3140772.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 37
  • P3150848.JPG
    P3150848.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 28
  • P3170656 (1).JPG
    P3170656 (1).JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 34
  • P3170644.JPG
    P3170644.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 33
  • P3170734.JPG
    P3170734.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 36
  • P3170709.JPG
    P3170709.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 31
  • P3170800.JPG
    P3170800.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 28
  • P3170898.JPG
    P3170898.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 31
  • P3170885.JPG
    P3170885.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 40
  • P3150964.JPG
    P3150964.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 46
  • P3150969.JPG
    P3150969.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 40
  • P3150971.JPG
    P3150971.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Oh wow! Your photos are wonderful! I just came bk from Maldives too... We saw amazing mantas, whale sharks, 3 hammerhead sharks etc. & the boat is very nice! But I like your small divers to DM ratio, I'll definitely keep this boat in mind... Are the DMs mostly locals?

Thanks Xariatay Yes we had Maldivian DMs, they really looked after us. I enjoyed their humble sense and 'can do attitude'. I was lucky with that ratio a few cancelled last minute. The next group on was apparently a full house of Spanish Divers! They have a new larger dive dhoni now. Where did you dive in Maldives?

We took an internal flight all the way south to Gaafu Dhaalu on Maldivian Air (quite nice). Was supposed to make our way back to Male atoll slowly but seemed that the more interesting creatures (mantas, whalesharks etc) were in Ari Atoll, Rashdoo Atoll etc, so we sailed all the way back to Ari Atoll to "strike gold". :wink:
We had only 2 dive masters, 1 will lead, the other will round-up all the 22 divers... :chuckle:

22??:shocked2::D Should have come with us? So did you take a LOB from Gaafu Atoll then? What boat were you on? We could have crossed paths uw in Ari? There were a few LOBs in the area.

Yes, we boarded the boat in Gaafu Dhaalu. A friend organised this trip... 1350usd for 3-10Apr. & the LOB Princess Lara is new - launched in 2009 & quite luxurious! There is a jacuzzi on board!
Well, we really loved the mantas & whalesharks action, hooked, think we would be back to the Maldives again in a couple of years!

Hi Gavin,

How are you buddy, this is shiru here. Well its great to see your wonderful tour report. I am really happy that was able to provide you a memorable dive expedition with us. As we operate Eagle Ray right now At this point I would like to announce the whole team and crew will be moving to another boat as our contract with Eagle Ray is over by end of May 2010.

We are starting our operation with Fathima. We will be calling it Oceanic Dreams - Fathima.
Manik and the dive guides and the best crews will be moving to this boat as we are going to Operate it.

Attachments

• Fathima.jpg
    Fathima.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 58
  • web_-_sun_deck.jpg
    web_-_sun_deck.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 37
Hi Shiru, thanks I really loved the Eagle Ray it had a lot of space with 3 levels! And the lounge was excellent. The Fathima doesnt look as large from the outside but it might inside, do you have any pics of the interior? Shame to see that the Eagle Ray will be moving on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom