Taiwan, Orchid Island, trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makhno

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
From a prior post about Green Island, http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/general-asia/314792-taiwan-green-island-trip-report.html:
. . . And it's markedly better than Taiwan's two other main dive destinations, Kenting National Park and Orchid Island (Lanyu).

Let me correct that: after another trip to Orchid (Lanyu) Island, I'd have to say they're both really good. I must have just had bad luck when I dived Lanyu last year, because this year the marine life was great.

I got back late last night from a 3-day weekend of diving at Orchid Island and I can see now why so many divers love it. It offers the best visibility in Taiwan (averaging 30 - 40 meters). There were many more fishes than last year -- loads of the smaller reef fishes and some bigger ones, too (the group of 7 humphead parrotfish, each almost 2 meters in length, was a highlight of the trip), but there were also some big pelagics I don't see at Kenting, including dogtooth tunas, milkfish, and some others we couldn't positively ID. Other attractions included lots of schooling fusiliers, many snakes and a big green turtle, plus healthy hard and soft corals, sponges, tunicates, and other small invertebrate life (no shortage of nudibranchs, a few octopuses, porcelain crabs and some mantis shrimps, etc.). A pod of dolphins was there but we only saw them from boat and from shore, not underwater. And there's a good wreck, which is rare in Taiwan. We arrived at the wreck at slack tide during a half-moon so there was no current whatsoever, and it was perhaps the best dive of the long weekend's 6 dives.

I'm really glad that I gave diving at Orchid Island another chance; it was well worth it. The diving was quite good. And Orchid Island is a lot more rustic than Green Island (watch out for the feral goats if you're driving a scooter), which means it has fewer options for good dining and lodging, but on the positive side it's a lot more mellow and picturesque topside, with much smaller tourist crowds.

Maybe I can talk a buddy of mine into posting some really good photos here; if not, then you should go and take a look at Orchid Island yourself. There are ferries (about 2 1/2 hours, about NT$2000 round-trip) from both Kenting and Taitung, and there's a small airport too, with inexpensive but quickly-filled flights. As with Green Island (Ludao), Orchid Island (Lanyu) doesn't have a lot of English-speakers, so if you can't speak Chinese then it's best to organize a diving trip with someone who can. I've been there twice with Andy at www.taiwandive.com - Kenting - Green Island - Orchid Island - XiaoLiuChiu and he does a good job of organizing and managing a trip to the island. Greg at http://www.shellbackdiver.com also goes there sometimes. He did a good job of organizing and managing a trip I took to Green Island, so I assume his Orchid Island trips are also good. Both of those guys would also be good options in Kenting.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom