WhaleShark Story.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Born2Dive

Registered
Reaction score
Well, just to tell you all the diving story,... ha ha, i sound so old.

We were on the Boat during one of our SI,.. you know, talking, eating, and doing all that bumming around, when one of the divers who was looking out just shouted, "WHALE SHARKKkkk!!!"

Then Everything JUST ERUPTED into a frenzy, (of course everyone rush to see if he was bluffing, if he was, then we will throw one 'whale shark' into the water without his SCUBA.) :drown: He was telling the truth though. :yea:

Saw this juvenile 5m long whale shark just feeding along the boat, swimming into the current. Everyone JUST JUMped grabbing snorkels and cameras. Jumping into the water like maniacs!!

Sadly though the bugger swam faster than anyone could catch up to get a pict. ;-0
I think we managed to see the bugger so near the surface was due to the heat of the day, and it coming up to catch the sun something like that, anyway...

But yeah damned bloody lucky!!! There was this old head on board, saying in his diving experience of ten plus yrs never seen a whale shark. So... hee... :scuba:

Cheers.

OOOops,... the previous post was in response to Gno post about " Whale shark in Redang???"
I made a boo boo by starting a new thread. So to those that think it was out of point, apologies.

In 2002 booked on Scubacat liveabord in Similans. When they picked us up at airport there were only two others on the bus, it turned out a big group had canceled that morning. so the boats big enough for fourteen but theres only four of us and only three diving plus the DM.

He suggests we go overnight direct to Richelieu rock

first dive, first day, hit the water begin descent, Camera not flooding, regs ok, 5m and everything ok, look down to see this guy pointing to my left, thinking i'm about to hit his buddy i look round and see a whale shark steaming in my direction, we got to spend the next 20 minutes whilst it circled us and same again on the second dive.

rest of the trip was a bonus

Albion once bubbled...
In 2002 booked on Scubacat liveabord in Similans.
Sorry abit of a newbie,... where is Similians??

Albion once bubbled...
thinking i'm about to hit his buddy i look round and see a whale shark steaming in my direction, we got to spend the next 20 minutes whilst it circled us and same again on the second dive.

rest of the trip was a bonus

*GREEN* GREEN* *GREEN* I'm so envious.... Wow!!!! I really hope to get another chance. :eek:ut:

Cheers. :boozer:

And don’t forget the Manta out there too!

Hey, if you're born to dive, you should try the Similan Islands!

The Similan Islands National Park is about 100km NW of Phuket. There are liveaboards and day trips from October - May, so the season is about to start again. The National Park is officially closed in the summer months.

Liveboards normally cover the Similan islands and also dive sites further North - Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock. Some boats also make a dive or two at the Surin Islands. Trips are normally 4 days, but some boats do shorter 2 or 3 days trips, and there are some longer trips.

Liveaboard boats run either from Phuket of Khao Lak, and there are one or two operators based in Phi Phi, Krabi and Ranong, but most of the offices in Phuket.

Now, as for whalesharks...The last couple of years have been a bit barren. Last season saw sightings right at the tail end of the season - April/May. To make up for it, there were loads of Manta rays all over the place.

There's another discussion about it on the Damnam forum

Whale sharks are hunted for meat in some countries and numbers have been drastically reduced in recent years. Only recently was the whaleshark listed under the CITES treaty as an endangered species. One hopes that we will keep seeing them.

Sunrise once bubbled...
Hey, if you're born to dive, you should try the Similan Islands!
Yeah yeah yeah,... i know, unfortunately i wasn't "Born with Cash"... if you know what i mean. :D
But I'll like to try it one of this days.

Sunrise once bubbled...
The Similan Islands National Park is about 100km NW of Phuket. There are liveaboards and day trips from October - May, so the season is about to start again. The National Park is officially closed in the summer months.....Liveaboard boats run either from Phuket of Khao Lak, and there are one or two operators based in Phi Phi, Krabi and Ranong, but most of the offices in Phuket.![/B]
Oh ok... thanks for the info. Hmm... it all sounds very interesting. Must research somemore about the place....

Sunrise once bubbled...
To make up for it, there were loads of Manta rays all over the place.![/B]
That is also another sea creature i would like to see up close and personal... rather than just catching it on "Discovery"... sigh.:rolleyes:

Sunrise once bubbled...
Whale sharks are hunted for meat in some countries and numbers have been drastically reduced in recent years. Only recently was the whaleshark listed under the CITES treaty as an endangered species. One hopes that we will keep seeing them. [/B]
True true,... there was an article abt India hunting it's meat and all that,... pretty nasty way of catching those buggers also. They would harpoon a oil drum into them and with the oil drum constantly tugging at them; tire them out and then they will hack it b4 towing the carcass back to land. Sickos. Can't they stick to their papadums. :eek:ut: (no offense to all out there. k.)

Cheers.:gator:

WOw, you guys are sure lucky.

I went to Nusa Penida (Bali) and did not get to see the elusive Mola Mola although my instructor says he has seen quite a few times.

And he also told me, he dived for 25 years and only seen a Whale Shark once!!

:wacko:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom