Con Dao is Vietnam's best kept secret........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver man medley

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
It really is because i cant find any good information about the place and nor can i find and videos photos or anything on the diving there:shocked2:
Anyone ever dived there?
Is it expensive?
Is there big stuff there like manta's, whale sharks and dugons?(from what i have heard)
Any info would be great!

medley:cool2:

Hi guys,

When is the diving season in Con Dao?

Very interesting destination. But the dive prices look like from a dive center at a 5 star resort...

Very interesting destination. But the dive prices look like from a dive center at a 5 star resort...

on a total of 4000 foreign visitors....and VERY few were disappointed..

There is the option of my competitor, at only 30% more expensive then me, without the beautiful custom built 15 meter dive boat, they are at a five star resort, but they dive off of a 4 meter speed boat.
Oh well, come back in a few years when there are more customers and the prices drop.
I have done some study of my market and loose about 4% of my customers based on price, that tells me I could jack up the prices and actually make money. I am content to loose money for the short term to promote the destination for the long term.
When were you last on a dive boat with a defibrillator, in a third world country, that only pumped OCA, has a diving medical technician in residence, has the stellar reputation that I do on trip advisor ? Is set up for in water re-compresssion as a result of our remote location & etc...?
Labor costs are 4X the mainland, electricity is 8X the mainland and my business is up 60% this year. There must be SOMETHING all those people are paying for.
Go to Nha Trang and see a lot of divers, Phu Quoc and see nothing but broken coral or come here and see turtles and dolphins and not another diver within 300 Km.:D

Nah i most likely go to Philippines, dive for 5th of the price with a privat divemaster alone at many divesites :)
Anyway there is probably still enough people willing to pay premium prices. It's just my personal opinion that
it sounds expensive to me and i would have expected different price levels in vietnam.

Although the Philippines are a great destination, do you expect the operator in Con Dao to lower his prices to the point of going broke even faster? One must factor in many considerations to understand why pricing might be "high" in some Third World areas and the operator has certainly given a number of good reasons for that. I live on an island where there are relatively few people and full-sized cars are restricted in number. Most of us have golf carts that get 70 mpg. The local gas station charges about $7/gal vs about $4 on the mainland. I understand that the volume of gas sold here is much smaller relative to the fixed costs of operating the station and that there are additional factors such as gas having to be barged over to our island at added cost. If you don't like the operator's costs, you are free to dive elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom