the pier of Dumaguete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was there in November and diving the pier was not allowed.

Our dive guide had been arrested for diving it.

It may depend who you dive with. Atlantis may have been sneaking divers in there.

Yeah, it is really a shame. We were told that the Pier has th emost variety of macro life but it is closed permanently because of heavy boat traffics so they felt that it is unsafe for divers to dive there. Don't know if there was any incident that precipitate the closure. Atlantis House Reef and El Dorado House Reef are still very good but the Pier is supposed to be incredible.

Hi All:
I am heading for Atlantis resort in Dumanguete from 1/22-1/26. Any suggestions on DOs and DON'Ts are highly appreciated. From my understanding the town of Dumanguete is quite different than Puerto Galera. Is that about right? Are the beaches nice and clean? My gf is also going and she doesn't want to dive....... thanks in advance for your valuable inputs

Atlantis is a good distance away from the town so it is nice and quiet. We stayed at El Dorado just a short walk away from Atlantis. At night, it is very quiet and very dark around there.
The beach is so so, dark sand but not very crowded. Atlantis has a very nice facility so I am sure you will have a good time there.
Depending on what you like, my friends and I are into photography and prefer macro over wide angle so we find Atlantis and El Dorado housereef the most enjoyable for us. Duine looks really boring but we found blue ring octopus there. Masaplod is also worth a visit, large school of fish, sevearl cuttlefish and octopus.
Apo Island is nice but I was a bit disappointed, after hearing all the good things about it, may be I had too much expectation.

ssra30:
Atlantis is a good distance away from the town so it is nice and quiet. We stayed at El Dorado just a short walk away from Atlantis. At night, it is very quiet and very dark around there.
The beach is so so, dark sand but not very crowded. Atlantis has a very nice facility so I am sure you will have a good time there.
Depending on what you like, my friends and I are into photography and prefer macro over wide angle so we find Atlantis and El Dorado housereef the most enjoyable for us. Duine looks really boring but we found blue ring octopus there. Masaplod is also worth a visit, large school of fish, sevearl cuttlefish and octopus.
Apo Island is nice but I was a bit disappointed, after hearing all the good things about it, may be I had too much expectation.

Thank you very much for your information. It is very helpful!! I thought APO should be exciting but... Well, since we are there mine as well go there and see see what happens! Once again, thanks!!

Jeff

So....When I will be at Dumaguete on mid-January, there is no chance to dive in the pier.

I feel very sad....

Hi SSRA 30:

Sorry, but I forgot to ask you about the local restaurant and night activities. Any recommandations will be very helpful! I was recommanded to take the full board, do you think that is a good idea? Thanks again and I look forward to hear from you! Happy New Year!

Taking full board is probably a good idea. When we were at El Dorado, there were free shuttle into town daily but since we did night dive everynight, we were too tired to get into town to try anything different. I did not eat at Atlantis but was lounging around their restuarant for awhile and the food seems pretty good. Unless you take a shuttle into town, there is no restuarants within walking distance that I could see.
At El Dorado, I was there for a week, breakfast was included as part of the package so I only paid for lunch and dinner. I think I paid about $US 75 for the whole week. My friend paid about $US200 but his alcohol consumption was quite a bit higher!
Atlantis probably is around the same price for food, may be a bit more so do your math. I am not sure how much more they would charge.
If you do a day trip to Apo Island, I suggest that you have a packed lunch from Atlantis. We ate at a resort on Apo and the food was pretty bad.

Back
Top Bottom