Nha Trang, Vietnam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

30MvizChicago

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Good day,

I was curious if anyone has any specific knowledge or experience diving in Nha Trang? My wife and I are here for a few days and want to get a refresher dive or two before our travels take us to Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, and hopefully the Philippines. Obviously some nicer spots on the horizon but I was wondering if it was worth it to check out and where specifically to head. I know Mun island is the main spot but have heard about a dive site called Electric Nose as well as Light House. Any advice or best to save money and wait for the premiere SE Asian destinations?

Thanks in advance

I personally didn't find Nah Trang diving worthwhile. I guess if you just wanted to get wet again and do a refresher dive it may be ok - enjoy your trip whatever you choose to do :)

Last edited:
I enjoyed some nice dives there. Water was cooler than average in Thailand (~26 degrees). Not much 'big stuff', but lots of macro (frog fish, cuttlefish, ghost pipefish etc) from what I recall.

Some 50km up north from Nha Trang, Whale island provides much better diving with no dynamite fishing and lots of macro stuff, never seen so big nudibranches, you could cut a steak out of them.
There's a french run resort aptly called Whale island resort (l'ile de la Baleine), the beach there is very nice, Rainbow Divers has a shop on premises. Been there a few years ago and enjoyed diving there more than from Nha Trang.

thanks for the advice. had to rush through Vietnam so couldn't hit whale island but we had a 3 nice dives in nha trang. saw a 2 meter ray in a cave at about 37 meters and TONS of nudibranchs. plenty of both soft and hard coral as well. extremely cheap too... think we spent $60/diver for transportation, all equipment, lunch and the 3 dives. i'd recommend it to anyone for a brief tune up or any beginners for sure

I personally didn't find Nah Trang diving worthwhile. I guess if you just wanted to get wet again and do a refresher dive it may be ok - enjoy your trip whatever you choose to do :)

Nha Trang has a great deal to offer any diver: more than 100 species of nudibranch, 350 species of hard corals, more than 100 species of soft corals, dozens of species of shrimp including varieties of mantis shrimp, rays, occasional shark sightings (including whale sharks), many species of scorpion, lion and stonefish, many species of pipefish including ornate ghosts...

If you think diving somewhere with all that to offer isn't worthwhile, then by all means stay at home and keep your opinions to yourself.

But 30M, give it a shot and see what you find.

YOYO Im currently in Nha Trang with a non diving friend any specific dive operations you could suggest?

Nha Trang has a great deal to offer any diver: more than 100 species of nudibranch, 350 species of hard corals, more than 100 species of soft corals, dozens of species of shrimp including varieties of mantis shrimp, rays, occasional shark sightings (including whale sharks), many species of scorpion, lion and stonefish, many species of pipefish including ornate ghosts...

If you think diving somewhere with all that to offer isn't worthwhile, then by all means stay at home and keep your opinions to yourself.

But 30M, give it a shot and see what you find.

I thought I made it clear MY PERSONAL OPINION - you obviously have business interests, I don't - OP asked for opinions, I provided mine. Forum for opinions or forum for promoting your regions diving? Everyone has a different idea of a great spot to dive and the OP asked for opinions. I wasn't aware Vietnam was known as a great dive destination - perhaps it needs to be marketed as such - ive yet to see a dedicated dive trip to Vietnam offered. As I said to the OP Enjoy your trip whatever you choose to do, horses for courses, everyone is different.

YOYO Im currently in Nha Trang with a non diving friend any specific dive operations you could suggest?
If your still around shoot me a pm. I'd be happy to help you figure out a dive shop that will suit your wants/needs.

Back
Top Bottom