Vietnam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BackpackingScubaDiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm currently in Vietnam and will be in Nha Trang tomorrow. I know Vietnam isn't the ideal country in these neck of the woods, but does anyone have any secret spots?

I've heard Phu Quoc is pretty easy and great for learners. I've heard little about Con Dao island, but it seems to be untouched. Has anyone dived these or other parts?

Hey Lloyd, how is the HOG gear working out as far as being back-packable? I have done some scuba backpacking, and it's quite the challenge. I use a Zeagle Express Tech--plastic backplate.

Hey Lloyd, how is the HOG gear working out as far as being back-packable? I have done some scuba backpacking, and it's quite the challenge. I use a Zeagle Express Tech--plastic backplate.

Hello!

Yea, it's going swell. I've got a 50 liter pack and a 34.5 liter dry bag - holds everything and then some.

I really wanted a SS, but just couldn't justify hauling that around so I went aluminum. I had a look at the plastic, but thought the aluminum would be more durable (more expensive too :depressed:) - how is yours holding up?

Hello!

Yea, it's going swell. I've got a 50 liter pack and a 34.5 liter dry bag - holds everything and then some.

I really wanted a SS, but just couldn't justify hauling that around so I went aluminum. I had a look at the plastic, but thought the aluminum would be more durable (more expensive too :depressed:) - how is yours holding up?

The Express Tech back"plate" is a bit of a compromise. It's only semi-rigid. It's rigid enough to hold things in place at least as well as a jacket-style BC, but of course not nearly as rigid as a metal backplate. So it's susceptible to tank floppage. But on the other hand, it can actually be flexed enough when shoved into a backpack that it conforms to the interior of the backpack--you can almost roll the thing up. As for durability, I'm sure it would last for a thousand dives (and a metal backplate would last tens of thousands). It's not like the backplate gets beat up--the wing is what takes the brunt of the abuse.

The Express Tech back"plate" is a bit of a compromise. It's only semi-rigid. It's rigid enough to hold things in place at least as well as a jacket-style BC, but of course not nearly as rigid as a metal backplate. So it's susceptible to tank floppage. But on the other hand, it can actually be flexed enough when shoved into a backpack that it conforms to the interior of the backpack--you can almost roll the thing up. As for durability, I'm sure it would last for a thousand dives (and a metal backplate would last tens of thousands). It's not like the backplate gets beat up--the wing is what takes the brunt of the abuse.

Wow, that's good to know. I do love how light the aluminum is, but it definitely isn't flexing to fit into my bag which takes up some precious interior backpack real estate.

As for now though, I'm managing with the little space I have, but will keep the option in mind if I get frustrated with this rigid metal.

I'm about to dive it all for the first time tomorrow here in Nha Trang - pretty excited!

This reply is a little late, but for anyone who stumbles upon this thread in the future, it might be helpful. I am currently living and working in Nha Trang. The diving here is actually quite nice...healthy coral and stunning macro life. Hon Mun Island, where most of the diving is done here in Nha Trang, is a Marine Reserve. As backpacker pointed out in his experience write-up, most of the diving here is quite shallow (within 18 meters) and is not affected by currents or surge too often. It is an excellent place for doing your first open water course, and underwater photographers generally enjoy the great amount of macro life to be lensed here.

It's true that the low season tends to bring rain that can limit the visibility at times, but that is not always the case considering the topography of Hon Mun. For example, we have had two large storms come through this past week bringing strong winds and waves from the northeast, but the southern part of the island had a calm surface with 10-20m visibility underwater.

In addition, there are deeper dive sites here, as well. One in particular, Electric Nose, is one of the coolest dive sites I have been to in Asia. So, there are definitely more challenging dives than the ones you experienced here (I noticed you mentioned Moray Beach, which is a popular dive site here in Nha Trang given its location on the island).

As for dive-ops here, my opinion is somewhat biased, so I will refrain from mentioning any operators by name in the thread. However, be aware that not all the dive-ops here in Nha Trang have their customers' interests in mind, and that you generally get what you pay for in terms of level of service and safety. Feel free to PM me for further information (and perhaps a slight sales pitch :wink:). I would be happy to answer any questions about diving and traveling in Vietnam.

Keeping tabs here as i'll probably be headed to Vietnam at the end of may.
I'm going to be in Mui Ne and Ninh Van Bay.
(the six senses resort mentions scuba at the ninh van location on their website)

A friend invited me to go with so it's obviously not a dive-centric trip however I'd like to get in the water as much as I can.

Having spent one year in Vietnam in 1969-1970 I have always wanted to return in peace and dive the South China Sea.

I enjoy reading these dive reports.

Nha Trang diving is one of the more memorable dives I have done. Great boat ride through an exotic island landscape. Vis was low and temps were in the 70s but there was an abundance of cool critters, ghost pipe fish come to mind.

Back
Top Bottom