Best value for live aboard in Thailand/Malaysia/Singapore/Indonesia/Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phizly

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice on where/when to do a live aboard in SE Asia. I am currently in Thailand but have only dove a few times on Koh Tao (dives were pretty good but crowded sites, price was amazing) to scratch the itch. I head up to Chiang Mai shortly from Phuket and after that have no plans set in stone. I want to head back south through Thailand then most likely head through Malaysia in mid April, through Singapore, then fly down to Bali/Lombok in early May. I leave from Manila end of June.

Where along the way will I get the most bang for my buck with a live aboard. Best diving relative to price I guess is what I'm looking for. I will probably get a few dives here and there along the way in each place but at some point I want splurge. Suggestions? Can't miss sites along the way?

Thanks,
Phil

Similan/Surin islands liveaboards are probably the cheapest in SEA and all the shops are conveniently located in Khao Lak. However, it's all very hit or miss. There are some trips where all you'll see are schools of fish and some cephalapods but barely any rays or anything bigger than a barracuda. On some very rare occasions Mantas and whale sharks will make an appearance usually in the North. I have never been lucky in that regard when it comes to Thailand.

I recommend that you forget about Phuket, Krabi, Koh Phi Phi etc.. for diving if you want to see anything significant farther south then book a short liveaboard to hin daeng/hin mueung.

Sanmiguel +1.

Also just to throw a curve ball in there, there have been some rave reviews going round the local word of mouth network about some of the new liveaboards to the Burma Banks. From what it seems, the further north you go the better the diving gets - probably as its much more virgin coral and marine life!

Happy diving :)

You should drop an email to an agent that sells diving throughout SE Asia. The sales guys can advise you on the relative merits of each place you might be most interested in. And what special offers are around. You can PM me for more if you wish.

Iwant to head back south through Thailand then most likely head through Malaysia in mid April, through Singapore, then fly down to Bali/Lombok in early May. I leave from Manila end of June. Where along the way will I get the most bang for my buck with a live aboard. Best diving relative to price I guess is what I'm looking for. I will probably get a few dives here and there along the way in each place but at some point I want splurge. Suggestions? Can't miss sites along the way? Thanks, Phil

The best diving in SE Asia, arguably the world, is in Indonesia. Bali is good but if you're going to splurge anywhere, make it a Komodo liveaboard.

The best diving in SE Asia, arguably the world, is in Indonesia. Bali is good but if you're going to splurge anywhere, make it a Komodo liveaboard.

Fully agreed! and Komodo indeed is awesome, some sites do fit more experienced divers though (i.e. not freshly new cert type)

+1 Komodo

I have dived several times with Divine Diving and they are fantastic value for money. Yes the boat is basic but comfortable, the gear is in good condition and they take max 8 divers on their 3d 2n trips.

OnTheSpot -- Do you recommend any sales agent / agency in particular? I am looking for a 4-5 day liveaboard for late January 2015. I was thinking of the Similans, but am open to other options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom