Where to do IDC: Thailand/Indonesia/Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeSullivan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking to do my IDC soon, as I just graduated university and would like to travel. I am looking for a good deal (low cost, good staff). I heard Koh Tao Thailand is the cheapest place to go for IDC. If anyone can point me towards the best deal in their opinion within these countries that would be very helpful, I hope to have some money left over after the course to continue traveling Asia. Thank you.

---------- Post added July 31st, 2014 at 02:30 AM ----------

PS: I am already a PADI divemaster

Where will you be teaching? It's generally advisable to learn in the area you'll be working with students. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for and that instructor mills rely on a rotating door of gap year kids who inevitably flunk out as instructors. You're better off finding a good instructor trainer, paying him what he's worth and learning to teach people to dive.

If you're looking for a southeast Asia vacation, just go on vacation and skip the IDC with the instructor mill.

Hey Mike!

Vietnam is a great place to do your IDC and also a great country to visit, there's a guy there called Grant Martin, based around Nha Trang and Phu Qouc (maybe other places too) you can find him on Facebook or look up IDC Training Vietnam, you'll have a great time during the IDC, the diving isn't fantastic but you'll be looking at your students not the fish ;-)

Good Luck

I am looking to do my IDC soon, as I just graduated university and would like to travel. I am looking for a good deal (low cost, good staff). I heard Koh Tao Thailand is the cheapest place to go for IDC. If anyone can point me towards the best deal in their opinion within these countries that would be very helpful, I hope to have some money left over after the course to continue traveling Asia. Thank you.

---------- Post added July 31st, 2014 at 02:30 AM ----------

PS: I am already a PADI divemaster

Hi MikeSullivan :)

Congratulations on graduating from University and how awesome that you want to continue achieving with the next step in your scuba diving education!

I understand your post is requesting for any opinion on particular countries within South East Asia, but I would like to give you my opinion on the island of Borneo, which is a neighbor to those countries you’ve listed! :)

About Sabah | IDC Asia

To begin; my name is Liz and I am one of the PADI IDC Staff Instructors of the Go PRO team at Downbelow Marine and Wildlife Adventures’ premier PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Centre.

Learn to Dive - PADI 5 Star Dive & Adventure Centre on Gaya Island | Diving Sabah? Dive Downbelow!

When researching your options to complete your IDC, you must prioritize the standard of professional dive training the establishment will provide for your future career, not the costs! However, it is understandable for a fresh graduate like yourself to be frugal with financial commitments.
With that in mind, it’s worth researching professional internships that include an array of conveniences, such as accommodation and transportation because you’ll get more ‘bang-for-your-buck’, so to speak! Do research on what is NOT included in the internship program too!
Browse through the link below on our IDC package:

PADI IDC | IDC Asia

For a 1-month internship program, with many amenities to ensure your comfortable stay during your IDC in Kota Kinabalu, our IDC package is incredible value for money! I will attest to this as I myself received professional dive training through Downbelow’s internship programs…so I might be a little bit biased! :blinking:

But follow us through these social media network communities and our various blogs to see what our Go PRO interns get up to at our Dive Centre, as part of your research!

Blogs:
News | Diving Sabah? Dive Downbelow!
News & Events | IDC Asia
Instructor Development Blog | Instructor Development Course IDC Malaysia, Asia

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/divedownbelow
Twitter: https://twitter.com/divedownbelow
Pinterest: Downbelow Marine & Wildlife Adventures on Pinterest
Tumblr: http://divedownbelow.tumblr.com

I am looking for a good deal (low cost, good staff).

You can pick either one, but IME it is rare to find dedicated staff that will prepare you for the in's and out's of being a diving instructor, when you're not prepared to pay for the dedicated tuition.

That said, if your DM training was thorough, the IDC is fairly basic. It basically prepares you to teach 'a la PADI' (or SSI) which are the 2 main training agencies in SE Asia.

What the 'typical' IDC will not teach you are the ways to create competent beginner divers right from the start. For that, you need a 'mentor' instructor who takes the time to coach you in real training experiences... and that normally requires more money.

What I saw of Asia Divers and Crystal Divers while working in Koh Tao was no better/ worse than any other and the prices are on a par with the other IDC's on the island. Savings can be made in low-season by negotiating accomodation and/or Nitrox specialties etc.

Best of luck.

First of all, your search area is huge - there's a whole heap of options in SE Asia! What time of year are you coming? Make sure you do a bit of research as to when monsoon season hits your chosen destination before you make any solid decisions!

As mathauck says, it can often be most beneficial to do your IDC in the area where you plan to teach. Many dive centres around the world will prefer to employ staff who have experience and knowledge of their own local conditions. But money wise, yes, you will get the course cheaper here (we are based on Koh Tao in case you hadn't noticed!), or anywhere else in SE Asia in general, comparatively to doing it back at home.

PS - You said you are already a DM. Do you have over 100 dives? Thats the absolute minimum to start the IDC.

Hi Mike

Some good options for you...

Phuket, Thailand - Scuba Cat, Platinum Course Director Sarah Kench teaches very small classes so you get individual attention and lots of practice, extra training sessions and coaching. She not only teaches at her own dive centre but is hired to conduct IDCs in places such as Vanuatu. She is also a very lovely person and lots of fun to hang out with. Living in Phuket is reasonably low budget and there are many low cost places to rent for the course duration.

Koh Tao, Thailand - Buddha View, Course Director Mark Soworka. Excellent reputation though I've not met him personally. The company i used to work has hired several instructors coming out of Marks' courses.

Dauin, Philippines - Instructor Development Philippines is co-run by Atmosphere Resorts and Liquid Diving. Both Gabi Holder and Tim Latimer are highly experienced, professional and lovely people - they have a great team of staff instructors that help you through the course too. The Philippines is, in general, lower cost for living than Thailand.

Sorry I don;t have any options for Indonesia for you!

Don;t just go for the cheapest option, have a read through what each course and CD is offering you. Pick someone with an excellent track record and reputation and you can;t go wrong.

Best of luck and hope you enjoy the experience,

Hi Mike,
Please check out Divingunderkohtao.com or visit us on Facebook @ divingunderkohtao. I can help with free pick up at the pier & recommend places to stay as well. Our IDC Center at Buddha View is fantastic.

Andrew

Back
Top Bottom