Damaged corals at Hin Daeng/Hin Muang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hiya,

Just read in the papers that the the dive site of Hin Daeng or Hin Muang (cant remember exactly which one) have been seriously damaged due to dynamite fishing. I got really upset when I read that coz we were actually thinking of making a trip there, and that is supposed to be a really fab dive site.

Alison, do u have any idea what's gonna be done? How is it that dynamite fishing can still go on there undetected, especially when that is a popular dive spot? Will Hin Daeng and Hin Muang still be worth a trip out then?

Any latest news (or gossip) on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
ADG

Hey Agnes

I've been away for a while...

I've not heard anything about the damaged coral at Hin Muang/Daeng... will check with my friends who are going there in January with a group...

Hope you're having a good Christmas

Happy New Year!

Thanks Alison!

Would really appreciate if u could get some first-hand account on the conditions there, coz we may not dive Hin Daeng/Hin Muang if it's been damaged.

Anyway, i found the news article on this reported in Bangkok Post - link provided below.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/161201_News/16Dec2001_news04.html

thanks!!

Devastating news,

I am researching my Similan/Phi Phi trip next year and both Red Rock and Purple Rock are 5* Globetrotter rated sites. My uncle travels to Thailand to dive every other year and allways makes Lanta his base. He will be especially sad to here this news as both these sites are day boat accessible.

Now Koh Lanta is in the early stages developing it's own tourism surely someone must realise that these sites are the jewel in the crown of it's scuba and act to protect such a priceless resource.

Diver magazine runs a "Your voice" column where they provide addresses of relevant government officials for readers to mail or write too about diving ecological issues. Recently they helped in securing the government ban on sea turtle killing in Bali. I shall drop them a mail with your link and maybe they will assist in promoting national park status for these two sites which I believe are just outside.

Lets hope the damage is not irrecoverable.

Neil

Hi Neil,

When are you going up to Phi Phi? Not sure if you have read one of my posts, but when i was in Similans just 4 weeks ago, certain dive sites at Similans are closed to visitors - and we are talking about the famous sites like Fantasea Reef and Elephant Head. Apparently this was being done to allow the reefs to grow back. It seems like Similans whilst being a protected marine park, still suffers from careless diving/overdiving.

I think there should be a similar rule which Sipadan adopts - a limit on the max no of people who can be on the island at one time (not exceeding 80 - someone correct me if i m wrong?), so that the environment, both above and underwater is not over taxed.

Whilst researching for my Phi Phi trip earlier, i came across the website of this dive shop The Dive Zone, which was based in Koh Lanta. Apparently they have closed down the shop, and quoted below is one of the reasons for this business decision:

"In seven years of operation we have seen such a dramatic reduction in fish stock at our coral reefs and watched the National Park Authority of Thailand turn their heads and say "Mai Pen Rai " ( never mind ). Yet at the same time these same people are quite willing to charge the diving tourist a hefty 200.- Baht per person per day to enter the confines of their "national park". It seems as if the Ko Lanta diving industry was being used to finance some entrepreneurial undertaking of the National Park Authority ! The last time we looked, there were about half a dozen fishing boats dragging their nets across Hin Daeng and Hin Muang as well as Koh Ha, a mini archipelago which, as recently as five years ago, was home to several species of shark, schools of Rainbow Runners and barracuda, large snapper and stingrays, all of which by now have all but disappeared."
http://www.thedivezone.com/

I must stress that I am not sure how true or reliable this is though. However, I did come across a posting by another diver at another message board (Lonely Planet i think?? Cant remember) and he mentioned that many dive operators were evasive when asked about the state of Hin Daeng/Hin Muang. This is only to be expected since it's their rice bowl.

Hi ADG,

I shall be diving in the Similans on Christmas day this year. I'm going out on the Chinese Junk on the night of Christmas Eve for 5 nights followed by 5 nights chilling in Phi Phi.

Hopefully I shall get to dive Fantasea and Hin Pusa, if not (and I can live with that, if it's to the benefit of the reef) it will still be my first experience diving in the Andaman and I'm sure I'll love it. We do get to go on to Richlieu Rock. What other sites did you enjoy?

I have 3 nights on Phuket before heading to the Similans and thought I would take a day boat out of Phuket. I would like to dive sites that would be different to those I shall head to from Phi Phi. Do you have any recommendations, I was thinking Shark point and Anenome Reef.

Neil

Hi Neil,

I am very envious of you - what a great way to spend Christmas!! Underwater - and at Similans!! I am sure u will have lots of fun.

OK here's some of my fav sites at Similans/Surins:

Beacon's Beach - for a check out dive, this is really nice. Great site to work on weightage and buoyancy, and trust me, you will get distracted by all those pretty little fish, and the large varieties of fish and marine life.

East of Eden - another great dive. This is the home of a huge resident moray eel, who is super friendly. Also saw mantis shrimp, trumpetfish, different species of triggerfish (lovely clown triggerfish), garden eels, octopus and many different reef fish.

Hideaway - this one is special to me, coz here's where i spotted the black ribbon eel, and quite by accident! This is also where we saw the bizarre looking seamoth. Lots of garden eels and lionfish as well.

Bird Rock - i loved this place for its exciting swim throughs and fantastic underwater scenery. Very strong currents which made for an exhilarating ride.

Christmas Point - another fantastic dive with super strong currents, exciting swim throughs and fantastic underwater scenery. Not many divers fancy diving in such conditions though, so it's really up to your individual preference. This is where we discovered an air pocket at the ceilings of one of swimthroughs, school of barracudas and the fierce tuna.

Richelieu Rock - simply fantastic. The only way to top this would be to spot a whale shark or manta :D There were tons of beautiful lionfish, scorpionfish (careful not to touch anything!!), cute little white-banded cleaner shrimp, banded boxer shrimp, Durban dancing shrimp, transparent little partner shrimps, - so many different types in huge quantities! Also spotted was the pipefish, school of barracuda, boxfish and pufferfish (i saw a cute little yellow spotted one which i fell in love with), porcupine fish and the many varieties of reef fish.

Wreck Boonsug - our last dive which was somewhere near to Tap Lamu. The viz was not too good, but this site is famous for tons and tons of lionfish - they were simply everywhere, tons and tons of porcupinefish - my favourite fish, and tons and tons of cute little moray eels living on the wreck.

My friend who has dived Phuket gave the thumbs up for Anemone Reef. I've heard that Shark Point is OK too, while King Cruiser should be quite an interesting dive though viz is not good. You might want to consider Racha Noi, which is supposed to have very dramatic underwater scenery, and possible big-fish encounters. However, this place has some challenging and unpredictable currents, hence more suitable for experienced divers.

You might have to manage your expectations, coz it seems that Phuket diving and even Phi Phi diving is not as good as Similans. So if you dive Phuket/Phi Phi after Similans, you might feel a little left-down. I will be diving Phi Phi in Feb, and will keep u updated on the diving there :)

Wow.... your descriptions are great - mouthwatering in fact... I don't think I'm going to be able to wait another 44 days (to be exact) until we are off on our Similan trip!

I am just way too excited... did you take any pics? My friends who must have been there around the same time as you came back with some amazing video footage - I saw the friendly moray eel at East of Eden (it really likes being tickled apparently) plus a zillion other creatures...

Ohhhhhh.... hurry up 16 Feb!

Hey Alison,

i'm counting down too, cant wait to get into the water again!!

How's the trip planning been? Managed to fill up the last slot? I'm not sure if my friend contacted you, coz he didnt come back to me about it either. If I didnt have the Phi Phi trip, I will definitely come with you :) too bad we wont be able to catch up in Thailand, coz when we get back to Phuket, you'd still be at Similans.

My friend took some great underwater shots + an underwater video - i've ordered them, but havent had time to pick them up yet. That moray eel was a real beauty huh??

Wow ASD you really do paint with a vivid palette. So many new critters to look forward too. Thanks for the info.

And 2 trip reports as well.

Alison, hope you liked the pic.

Neil

Back
Top Bottom