Destinations for October trip? Fish Action & Pelagics / NO MUCK!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slinger101

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

We have done many trips over the years (Palau, Komodo, Sipadan, Malapascua, Moalboal, Beqa Lagoon, Kadavu, Cairns, etc.) and are looking for some inspiration.

Critter/muck diving is just not our thing, so where shall we go this October to get some exciting diving with lots of fish action and beautiful reefs? Destinations in Asia are our preference, as we are based in Australia.

Looking forward to your tips and ideas.

Cheers!

Hey Slinger101

Looks like you've already seen a few places around Indonesia and want more of the great diving it has to offer!
I would suggest looking into Alor, the reefs are absolutely stunning with plenty of fish life big and small. Have a look at Alor Divers, they have small groups on the boats and are very flexible when it comes to choosing dive sites to suit the guests preferences. October is a good time also as the rainy season is yet to start (obviously we can never guarantee the weather though!) I've had personal experience in the area and can safely say 'you'll love it'

You could also take a look at Raja Ampat as it's not a place that is heavily 'muck' orientated and also has great fish life a healthy reefs!

If you need more info don't hesitate to ask :)

I second Alor, and Alor Divers, been there twice in the two past years. Contact them directly, they can book the domestic flights for you.

It happens they can lead you to a site that is seldom dived where it's not uncommon to see hamm.... but shhhttt.. too good to be disclosed publicly... (2 sightings in the 4 dives that were organized on that site in the 8 days I stayed last august).

if you're looking for coral dives take a look at my Alor gallery on Flickr.

Thanks for the Alor recommendations. My main concern would be transit time. Looks like it could easily take 2 days to get there from Australia and 2 days back.

Ideally, I would like to avoid losing 4 days of my holiday in transit.

Any other suggestions?

I would like to avoid losing 4 days of my holiday in transit.

Any other suggestions?

Well if Alor is out because of travel time, does that count out Raja Ampat? Liveaboards book up early so you would have to be land based.
Bunaken and Bangka are easy to get to.
Then there's also Nusa Lembongan no muck there, and other coral sites even in Tulemben.

You've really hit all the easy acess great diving in SEA, you might have to start repeating if you haven't already.

Might be hammmshhhhhhh here too - for a completely out of the ordinary asia dive Scuba Diving in Sangihe islands, Manado - North Sulawesi

BubbleJunky flights from Aus to PNG are generally direct out of Cairns or Brisbane to Moresby - while not asia IMO even better diving.

Living in Cairns does have some advantages with Port Moresby only 1 hr 40 min flying time. It will be even better if we ever get direct flights to Singapore. :)

That is where I envy you guys - from Perth its Per > Alice > Cairns > Moresby..never been able to manage to do it without an overnighter in Cairns....but the diving is worth it :D

On the flip side, scoot direct to singas is dirt cheap and a great budget airline.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom