Restricted area permit - Andaman Islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calvin007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I hold a US Passport with a valid Indian VISA for multiple entries. The VISA states, however, that it is not valid for restricted areas, which unfortunately includes the Andaman Islands where I would like to visit and travel. The Indian Consulate website makes note of this (see Conditions and Exceptions), and recommends filling out this form.

However, there is no mention of how to "apply" for the Permit and whom to submit it to.

When I called CKGS (the firm that handles the VISAs) about this, their representative (after speaking with his manager) mentioned that I would need to take the filled-out form with me during my travels and upon arrival to India, submit it to the Immigration officer at the airport, requesting the Permit access at that time. And, that I would be granted the Permit.

Has anyone had experience with this before? It just seemed a bit dicey to plan an entire trip, on the hopes of receiving the permit when I arrive there. Does anyone, within the last year, have a similar experience to share about this situation? Thank you.

After more searching I learned the following, should it benefit other travelers.

The Indian VISA may have a pre-printed statement that says "Not Valid for Prohibited/restricted and cantonment areas." It is acceptable to ignore this since it is NOT equivalent to a secondary hand-applied, separate (rubber) stamp that says "VISA not valid for restricted areas." The latter would restrict access to the Andamans.

The permit may be acquired thru Immigrations when arriving into Port Blair in 15-20 minutes. It does not need to be applied for in advance.

This website further substantiates the information I gathered from the resort in the Andmanas.

Exactly. Just fly into Port Blair with your valid Indian Visa, and they will give you a 30 day Andaman visa on arrival.

Nicobar however, is a different story :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom