Best Destination for November among Indonesia, Philipines or Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys,

I have been reading and doing some research and I am more confuse than when I started looking for potential destinations for my next trip. I'm planning to do a 15-20 days trip. I would like to dive half of the trip and then chill out on the beach and do some other activities.

My main concern is where to go? What is the best place to go in Asia for Scuba diving in November? I'm flying from Sydney, so I found some affordable flights to Indonesia, Philipines or Thailand. I have read a lot but I'm really confused. Any thoughts?

The idea also would be to do a Liveabord for 4 or 5 days. Any shop or boat to recommend? For the liveabord I would say my budget is around 1000 american dollars.

Thanks for your help.
Cheers!

November is the tail end of the Typhoon season in (usually the northern part of) the Philippines. It is also rainy season in the Gulf of Thailand.
The Andaman side of Thailand (Phuket, Kao Lak, Similans) is usually dryer and have better conditions.
Indonesia is huge and has lots of different areas with different weather patterns. Pulau Weh is different from Bali that's different from Komodo etc.

If this is your first dive trip to Southeast Asia and you want to do more than diving I would suggest that you look at the Andaman side of Thailand. You can probably find reasonable flights to Phuket and get a good combination of diving and beach relaxation, while enjoying a good tourism infrastructure.
If you're looking for more remote spots with better diving but no nightlife, there are some good options in Indonesia.

Indonesia! Liveaboards for $1,000 are probably out of the question ( except shorter ones out of Labuan Bajo). But there's loads of great diving. Bali, Lembeh/Bunaken/Bangka, Komodo via land based diving or a liveaboard out of Labuan Bajo. November is the start of the rainy season but I've been a few times then and not had to much rain. Problem is, once you go to Indo you always want to go back.
It is the saddle typhoon season in the Phillipines, but there's great diving there also. and it's a great value. Dauin-Bohol-Malapascua-Puerto Galera-Anilao all good choices.

Thailand has some good choices also, but the diving is not on par with Indo or the Phillipines. My first liveaboard was to the Similians, which I enjoyed but I am spoiled now, and despite Loving Thailand and all it has to offer I probably won't go back, as I really have become a stickler for high quality diving.

santiago.stanham! If you have selected the Asia so, I would like to recommend you to must go to the Indonesia and explore its Bali beaches. There is a diverse variety of beaches, where you can avail the opportunity to do diving, surfing, fishing, swimming, soaking, paddle boating and parasailing. So what’s your plan now?

Personally with your budget to get the most diverse diving for your dollar and time Id use one of the cheapy flights to bali then add on the lion air or similar flight to manado and dive Lembeh, Bangka and Bunaken. I have managed to do it regularly from the west coast of Aus for around $1500AUD for two weeks. If you want to split your time between diving and ''doing'' land stuff then Bali would be your best bet if you are looking for activities. N Sulawesi isnt big on stuff to do topside other than trekking Tangkoko to find Tarsiers and Yaki where Bali has a lot more stuff to see. If you want absolute quite and lazing on a beach Bangka would be my pick, if you want lazing on a beach meeting people then Bali.

Two Fish has operations in Lembongan (off Bali), Bunaken and Lembeh. They are very reasonable in price and really competent. Lembongan can have wicked currents, but Two Fish won't dive if they are too wild.

+1 for Wingy. As a Singapore nearby local, given a choice on your budget, consider Bali. November is off-season, it's relatively quiet, less bubbles in the water, and your budget will not suffer. Search other Indonesia threads for Bali dive locations, dive centers, and small hotels. You will have a blast.

Back
Top Bottom