Lakshadweep advice needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adz396

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

I'm planning a trip to Lakshadweep next March with my girlfriend. I'm certified but she hasn't dived before so she wants to do an Open Water course. There isn't a lot of information available about the islands. SPORTS (the Lakshadweep government tourism board) tells me there are dive centres on Kadmat and Bangaram. I think the Kadmat centre is run by Lacadives.

So, my questions for anyone that has dived the islands are:

1 - On which islands are there decent dive centres? Do they offer courses?
2 - Where is the best diving in the islands? What is the condition of the corals, what kind of sea life can I expect to see?
3 - What is the accommodation like? I've heard very mixed reports!
4 - Which island(s) would you recommend?

Thanks!

Quite interested to dive here too, but I have yet to meet anyone who has been there.

I stayed on Bangaram for a week around 2010. Great spot, 250 km off the coast of Western India. Small island one could walk around in a couple of hours, accommodation for 50-60 people. I hear that it is closed now: www.cghearth.com/bangaram-island. If indeed open, happy to share more.

Dive centre on the island was Laccadives. Good company. They also had facilities on other islands: Kadmat; worth contacting: http://lacadives.com/information/faq/

shawn

We were trying to book a week on Minicoy in early Dec. The rooms seemed a fair compromise between Kavaratti & Kadmat (pictures look dreadful!) standards, and since a tent at Bangaram is nearly double the price the decision was based on the diving possibilities. Boat dive twice the cost of the in-shore, BUT it looks as though it's actually a day's trip away at Bangaram ~300km ... and travel is extra. Unusual!

http://lakshadweepforum.com/blog/dive-centers-in-lakshadweep-islands/ is helpful, but methinks a meander around Kochi maybe more so?

Last edited:
Thanks birdwood. I hadn't considered Minicoy yet so I'll add that to the list. I got in contact with Lacadives but they told me the government has shut down all private dive shops (and private resorts) on the islands, so they have relocated to Andaman. As far as I can tell the government runs dive shops on Bangaram and Kadmat - has anyone dived with these operators? I'm a bit sceptical of quality / safety...

I'm a bit sceptical of quality / safety...

Well you just have to come to UAE and see how things are done here with apparently a higher standard than the sub continent and you might ask the same question.

If I do make it over there I would be bringing my own gear as well as a CO monitor, although somehow after what you said about the closing of private dive shops I might wait until I win the lottery and sail my own dive boat there.

Sri Lanka planned for June next year anyway :D

Not sure about government running Bangaram. If it's closed, likely no dive shop whatsoever. It is a very small island (atoll) that had less than 50 huts. There is no town on the island. Worth emailing Lakshadweep tourism to inquire about current diving in that area.

Intent is to survey the scene and cruise Kerala in Dec, then book islands for Jan'y (since we have 2 months). If I forget to update posting upon return, gimme a nudge on kirwoodg@yahoo.com.au
This echoes our experience with visas. The online syst was busted, and memos to this effect to the embassy/company kept getting replies telling us what was actually working. Went in, queued, ... sorted.

I stayed at Bangaram in 2008, but it is now closed. I believe the government took away the permits from CGH Earth/Laccadives. Decent diving, but not necessarily worth the hassle of getting there. Here's some more info on the situation there: What is going on in the Lakshadweep Islands? - India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com I don't know if there are any other options right now.

---------- Post added November 4th, 2014 at 09:43 AM ----------

Legal row hits tourist spots in Lakshadweep - The New Indian Express

@erickaye, that thread stopped 3 years ago, and the last post was (sounded!) that Kingfisher did flights out. They too are now defunct. Bangaram still has tents for tourists, but not cheap! Mixed reports from India on the ferries, hopefully local knowledge will be helpful?

Back
Top Bottom