Dive Bali or Sabah in January???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingchic

Registered
Reaction score
A friend, non diver but possible snorkeler, is coming to visit me here in SEA. We have a fairly short time, she flies in and out of BKK Jan 18 and 29th. I'm a fairly new diver, AOW certified. Looking to get some experience under my belt, work on buoyancy control and see some cool fish! Looking for a place to dive other than Thailand as that's where I've been before.
Priorities:
1. Fairly accessible from BKK as we don't have a ton of time
2. Other fun stuff to do besides diving as my friend is not a diver
3. Safety- 2 female travelers. I've heard unfriendly things about tourists travel in Malaysia at the moment related to political situation...is this really a problem?
3. Somewhat budget friendly as I am a (relatively) poor aid worker.

I have narrowed the list down to Bali (advantages, more non-diving stuff to do, disadvantages rainy season)

and Sabah (advantages: better diving, but less safe?, not as many non diver activities, and harder to get to). I am open to other suggestions though if anyone wants to try to convince me! Thanks in advance!

Given your requirements and your friend not being a diver Id suggest Bali - you will get your fill of topside activities there. Exercise the normal cautions you would anywhere else in Bali and you will be perfectly safe. Thousands of female solo tourists holiday there every month. Budget from $15 a night to $600 a night, there's a huge choice of accommodation. I wouldn't really worry about the rainy season because.....you are going to get wet anyway - it doesn't affect the viz that much. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom