please help me decide - Bali or stay on Carpe Vita Maldives for an extra week?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chillyinCanada

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I'm beside myself. Im going to be in SE Asia for a couple of months, mostly based out of Singapore with a couple of short trips to Jakarta included.

When I booked my Maldives liveaboard, I wanted a ten day trip but they were all full, so i settled for an 8 day.

My plan was to try and get in another week of diving, perhaps in Bali.

Now I see that my same liveaboard has availability both the week before and the week after my booked trip. AND on sale!! I'm tempted to book one of the adjacent weeks. It'll amortize airfare and potentially save me paying even more airfare to Bali.

For those of you that have done both, what would you advise please?

TIA

Last edited:
Save Money and go to a cruise in Rajah Ampat ( Close to Jakarta ) when you are there. Twice the same cruise in the Maldives..............Nice , I have been there 4 times, but Raja is WAY different.

I was in Raja Ampat last January on the Dewi Nusantara and that's how i know I'd be happy to stay aboard. In fact, the reason I'm going to the Maldives in the first place, is because I couldn't get a spot when wanted it on the Dewi.

I'm excited about the Maldives trip though. At this point in time, glad it worked out this way.

Now, back to the question, book another week on liveaboard in Maldives or . . .Bali or Lembeh or Wakatobi? OR?

---------- Post added December 4th, 2014 at 03:27 AM ----------

Come on you guys. Please help me this to decide this very serious First World problem. :)

This dilemma has been resolved. :) I'm going on the Carpe Vita for two weeks.

I may not be able to stop myself from a trip to Bali or area anyway, as I'll be in SE Asia based out of Singapore for the most part, occasionally Jakarta from December 11 until February 24.

What did you have in mind? Thanks.

This dilemma has been resolved. :) I'm going on the Carpe Vita for two weeks.

I may not be able to stop myself from a trip to Bali or area anyway, as I'll be in SE Asia based out of Singapore for the most part, occasionally Jakarta from December 11 until February 24.
Definitely try and get to Bali while your there. You can get in and out quickly and the diving is great. Tulamben for Muck macro just 3-4 hours from the airport, or Nusa Lembongan just a quick 45 minute boat ride from Sanur for drift/Mantas/ possible Mola-Mola. If you have more time Lembeh's great also, so good I've gone back 3 times.
I don't think 2 weeks on a liveaboard is to much, ( I'm combining two trips for 21 days next year) and since it's two trips back to back the guests will change in case you need a change of company.

Can't say you made a bad choice, 2 weeks in the Maldives doesn't sound bad at all!!!
If you cannot stop yourself though.... at that time of the year in Bali you're probably going to get wet anyway so, may as well go for a few dives....
As dirtfarmer says there are few nice places worth visiting, I would add Padang Bai to the list.
Enjoy

Hi chilly in Canada,

Silk Air has easy non-stops flights to Manado from Singapore. Think about Lembeh Strait for muck diving with a 3 tank day trip to Bangka's reefs and hard coral gardens - just sayin' :wink:. Great way to spend a long weekend for someone based in Singapore for a while. Weather is beautiful right now, critters are out and plentiful. Hope to sea you soon.

No promises but you make it very tempting. How're conditions in February?

Definitely worth a trip to Lembeh while you're in Singapore. You need minimum 5 days to make it worthwhile as the flight times mean you use a day travelling in either direction.

Equally, if you have 6 days, you can do a short Liveaboard in Komodo (Black Manta comes highly recommended and does Thurs - Tues itineraries).

Bali works for a 3 day trip because there are so many different flights to choose from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom