opinions please , Where to dive in Asia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lynnemari

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We have been diving since 2003, and have been all over the Caribbean, Mexico, and the bay islands in Honduras. Our dream though is to dive in Asia, or Australia, this will probably be a once in lifetime thing for us though. I have been researching different areas for best time of the year to go, and find that when the water is warm the seas are choppy, and when it is calm the water is a bit cold ( less than 80 possibly). I was looking at Fiji, Thailand, Bali, Australia. I like shore diving too, and nothing too advanced. Any opinions on this once in a life time dive vacation, and when to go.

If this is a once in a lifetime trip you need to make it count.

Indonesia has the best reefs and fishlife in the world. Bali, Lembeh, Ambon, Komodo, Raja Ampat are all world class destinations in their own ways and a combination of 2-3 of them would make for a phenomenal trip. There are Liveaboard or resort options to suit all budgets.

Thailand is nice enough, particularly the Similan Islands, but only Richeliu Rock compares with Komodo, Lembeh or a Raja Ampat. Australia is exceptionally expensive - both for diving and generally. The Barrier Reef, while large, is not that spectacular diving unless you go way offshore into the Coral Sea, which really costs.

What James said!

I will add though that I don't understand the cold water = calm seas, warm water = choppy seas thing. All areas of Asia have seasons for diving but it is also easy to find rough cold water and calm warm water.

Indonesia as a country is your best bet not only because of more dive sites than any other country on the planet (almost certainly a lot of undiscovered ones too) but because there are so many options in terms of Dive Centres and liveaboards. Also the optimal diving season occurs somewhere in Indonesia throughout the year.

The Philippines are not far behind with Thailand probably third followed by Malaysia. Fiji is not in Asia (part of Oceania) and with its changing and unpredictable weather pattern, might be an expensive and tricky choice for a once in a lifetime trip.

Furthermore, Indonesia and the Philippines offer the best choice of varied diving on extended trips (Bali & Komodo, Anilao & Dumaguete etc). Further advice on planning will require more info on the time of the year you are planning to go, your approximate budget, length of stay and the sort of things you want to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom