Help me decide where to go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DvrRick

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for a week. I can extend my trip about 6 more days to dive but don't know where to go. I am currently looking at Lankayak Island but would like some other suggestions. I am willing to fly up to ~ 2 hours to my destination if need be. I know I will need to fly and then boat to Lankayak if I go there.

I am going in April and would love to see whale sharks. I am an experienced diver.

Suggestions?

Do you mean Lankayan? While it is technically possible to see whale sharks there I don't think it's nearly so likely as their website suggests.

If you want guaranteed whale sharks go to Cenderawasih Bay in Indonesian Papua - it will take closer to 12 than 2 hours to get there though.

The Maldives is around 5 hours from KL and has a reasonable chance of whale sharks, but you'd need more than 6 days.

However, I think your best bet is probably to fly to Phuket and take a 4-5 day Liveaboard in the Similan Islands. Possibility of whale sharks and mantas, and generally good diving, with excellent diving at Richelieu Rock. I personally recommend White Manta - great boat, great crew - but there are numerous others.

You could get a flight to Krabi, and dive from Koh Lanta too. Or a flight to Banda Aceh to go dive at Pulau Weh...

I have decided to go to Phuket and dive from there. I know it's probably not the best choice but I hear it is beautiful and there are other attractions as well. Thank you for your input.

Rick, earlier in April has better chance of good weather than later. Around Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richilieu Rock, whale sharks were fairly rare for many years. Last year, they made a comeback to the area. On every trip except one during February and March, we saw whale sharks and mantas. (We didn't dive there in April last year, as it is historically The edge-month of the monsoon season). They seem to still be around with a few sightings so far this season. Best of luck seeing them. It's an awesome experience. Just keep a look out for the other cool stuff there to and don't count on the big critters. It's still nature and they don't always cooperate.

Thank you Zippsy. I am hoping but not counting on seeing them. am definitely looking forward to getting wet for 5 days!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom