Please help me: Malapascua, Bunaken or Bali 23/4 to 2/5???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luiscb

Registered
Reaction score
I'm really in need for help here.
Both my wife and I are scuba divers (myself an OWSI and my wife an AOW). I have +-600 dives and she has +-70 dives. I am an amateur photograph diver too.

We will come with our two children that have done the equivalent French certification (ANMP) of the Seal Team, since they are 8 years old, and they are used to dive with us (max 6 meters, like for Padi). Presently, only the younger one dives, as our other son has a problem with his ear (he can snorkel but not dive). We would like that they will come with us in the boat for snorkeling and, whenever is possible, I would like my daughter to dive with us (within her limits for her age).

I've look into
Bunaken and I was very impressed: excellent visibility, amazing drop-offs and beautiful lodges/dive centers.. I've contacted some dive centers and they were very quick to respond: in all dive trips our children can come with us and almost all dive sites are appropriated for snorkeling or child diving (<6 m deep). I could spend 1 or days at Lembeh to try the famous muck dives and try to get the macro photos of my life. The minus is that it does not seem to have a lot of big pelagic (manta rays, sharks, whale sharks...). Also the beaches are not spectacular. Probably the best option form the photograph point of view (???).

Malapascua: I was also impressed by what I was able to investigate. Flights from Manila to Cebu are easier and cheaper than the ones from Jakarta to Manado. Dives seem to be very good but the reef and the life reef is not so good as Bunaken. There seems to be a lot of pelagic (not only the famous thresher shark but also mantas and whale sharks) and beaches seem to be a lot better than in Bunaken. On the other hand, visibility seems to be not as good as in Bunaken and it seems that there are not so many appropriated sites for children as in Bunaken. The contact with the dive centers was not that great: they were much less responsive than the one from Bunaken.

Bali: Although I did not contact any dive center, it seems is the least appropriate place for children diving ( a lot of pelagic , …). Beaches are not terrible too (Candidasa, Tulaben, Amed…). However, for big pelagic its seems to be great. And there is the US Libery!!! Arriving into Bali is also much easier than getting into Cebu or Manado.

I don’t know, it is really difficult to make up our minds:depressed::depressed:… What do you think?

I don't think Bali and Malapascua are suitable for your daughter(<6m max). So that leave you with Bunaken. How about an alternative?
I am suggesting Moalboal in Cebu, only 2hrs from the airport and no ferry to take.
Diving is very easy and current is never a problem. School of sardine is the main attraction. But NO beach and pelagic except turtles. However, you can join a local tour to Oslob to dive/snorkel with the whalesharkS. As far as I know they are there whole yr round but they are wild animal so anything could happen!! Same apply to that school of sardine.

Greeting from North Sulawesi Luiscb,

Garuda, Batik and Lion Air fly from Jakarta to Manado non-stop and Silk air from Singapore. Bunaken is a wonderful dive destination and a snorkelers paradise. Murex Dive Resort and Critters@Lembeh operates 3 dive centers:

Murex Manado with black sand beaches and a tropical garden, is only a 30-40 minuted boat ride to Bunaken. Murex Bangka, our secluded paradise, with beautiful white sand beach and fantastic House Reef for diving or snorkeling, in addition to many other nearby sites. And (Critters@Lembeh) located at the Lembeh Resort. This resort does not have a beach, but there is a great infinity pool and the cottages are perfect for families.

In fact, all the resorts are family friendly, Indonesians love children and the resorts owners children are known to come and snorkel and dive. At Murex Manado and Murex Bangka we have child care services and snorkeling programs with guides (can be pre-arranged with Lembeh Resort). Also, from both of the resorts you can do day dive/snorkel trips to the other. For instance, if you really like the idea of Bangka, you can stay there and take a 3 tank boat trip to Lembeh to do some "muck diving" (take the kids or let the staff snorkel and collect shells on the beach with them back and the resort).

You can find more information at Murex Dive, check out our Snorkel page and our Daycare information on the about us page. You also, maybe be interested in our NEW Passport to Paradise that allows you to stay at two or all three with dive/snorkel transfers between the resorts.

Where ever your family takes their next vacation we hope you have fantastic diving and build beautiful family memories.

The water in the Philippines at that time of year will be really good.

Dumaguete is another option....from there you can dive App Island which is fantastic for snorkelling.Some shops do trips across to Oslob to see the whalesharks. The muck diving is wonderful...unlike Bunaken there is almost no rubbish in the water...only snag is that the beach is black.

My daughters start diving since they're 8 years old (ocean bubble makers, restricted to 2 meters only until they reached 10). Bali, Lembeh and Manado is our regular destination. Theres many sites suitable for young kids in all three location, even more if your kid can go to max. 6 meter.
I thought they would like muck diving. They love it and after their first muck diving, they keep asking for muck diving - check on my signature below for their websites.
Very important to get good local guide. check the tide table and discuss with them for the best site and time to dive.

PADI dive centres should limit an 8 year-old to two metres on the Bubblemaker programme (confined open water). Seal Team is only conducted in swimming pools.

I would go for Bali. More to do topside on a family holiday, and some great diving below. You will have better chances of pelagics (esp. mantas) here than in Malapascua too (apart from threshers), and the macro diving is better...

If you do choose Bunaken and Lembeh you may like to look at Froggies who have ops at both - french op obviously so your daughters certs will be understood. Bali has a wide range of topside activities for kids. You could do Bunaken and Lembeh then take a cheap lion air flight down to Makassar and a connecting to Bali if you have time.

Big schools of Pelagics in south east asia...I wish you luck finding them..not a lot of pelagics left and especially not in big schools. :( overfishing sucks.

If you spend more time at bunaken and less at lembeh you will be disappointed. If you have young children that want to snorkel then Philippines might be better. Lembeh is fantastic but not too many snorkelling sites. Bali could also be an option. Bunaken for me was a huge let down. All the dive sites looked the same, no big fish action, minimal macro, not that much fish. Got very bored after few days. Maybe I had a bad week but it was supposed to be a biodiversity hotspot so big let down. Philippines can offer you good diving and good snorkelling for the kids. Bohol could give you a good mix. Pelagics r hard to find in Asia and places that have them aren't gonna b suitable for snorkelling. Try muck diving it's the business!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom