The best of Asia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fred3798

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We have 2 weeks at the end of May and early June. My wife and I have about 100 dives each - enough to be comfortable but also enough to know how little we know. We like active reefs and lots of colourful fish. We don't need difficult dives or overly deep dives just to say how deep we have gone. We take pictures but not zealously. We just want calm, beautiful, guided dives in oppulent sites. We also like nice hotel/resorts and while I don't need to pee money away needlessly, I will pay for quality and comfort with my diving. We have been all over the Caribbean and want to try Asia. Perhaps a week of diving and a week of culture. Often SB is all about budget diving. We are looking for great diving from a great resort in a place with some sites to see on the land. Indonesia sounds a bit risky politically although I stand to be corrected. Who can suggest their favourite perfect resort in Asia or Oceania for May/June?

thanks

This is based on research, but I think you should check out the Atlantis Resorts in Puerto Galera and Dumaguette. That just seems like a slam dunk dive resort operation that also happens to be in a location that would match your dive criteria. I will be interested to see what others say...

Meaningless response to put this back on the front pag of the forums list.

Two years ago my wife and I did a Bali-Komodo trip that got in some great diving on both Bali and Komodo and many of the cultural experiences in Bali, especially around Ubud. There are many excellent places to stay in Bali - we liked the Taman Sari, reasonable but luxurious. We also stayed at the Komodo Dive Resort on the Komodo leg of the trip, which is on its own little island and was luxurious and fairly expensive. Currents were strong in Komodo but my wife, who has less dives than you, handled them and the staff is very safety conscious. Really great diving and a great place with fantastic food. Very healthy reefs right at the resort with a tremendous variety of marine life. The Caribbean will seem a little sparse after you have seen a healthy Asian reef. You can also see the Komodo dragons, fruit bats and other pretty cool and interesting things. I did not feel hostility or unsafe in either place.

I also did a Fijian trip which was great both culturally and diving-wise. I dove off Namena which was superb diving and met people who stayed there who raved about it. A bit too expensive for my wallet at that time. It looked incredible and the great diving was right there.

Maldives but I have no idea about the resorts because on my two previous visit I was on liveaboard.
Layang Layang is also worth considering. May is usually the time for hammerhead. And you might be able to mix it with Sipadan(you have to decide if it is safe to visit it) with careful planning.
BTW, Indonesia is very safe. Derawan or Sangalaki are just off the coast of Borneo. Liveaboard to Raja Ampat or Komodo are very popular.
Best in Asia? There are several!!

Maldives has great diving but to see it properly you need to do a Liveaboard. There are some wonderful resorts but they're mind blowingly expensive and due to distances involved will likely only dive the sites in their vicinity. Indonesia has the best reefs and most diverse marine species on earth.

Komodo is phenomenal as is Raja Ampat, though looks like you'll miss the season for the latter. Bali has wonderful varied diving, lovely resorts and of course a wealth of cultural attractions. Lembeh offers incredible critters and reasonable prices, as well as proximity to Bangka and Bunaken for a good contrasting multi-centre holiday. North Sulawesi (including Lembeh, Bunaken, Bangka) also offers nearby topside attractions like Tangoko National Park for Tarsiers and Sulawesi crested macaques, the volcano etc.

I wouldn't worry about Indonesia's politics or the fact that it's the largest Muslim state on earth. It's a very friendly and hospitable place on the whole with little sign of the extreme Islamism that's presumably worrying you (unless for some unfathomable reason you've taken exception to the new President Joko Widodo?!)

a week of diving and a week of culture - you can't go wrong with Bali. May - June is good time for Bai though not for mola-mola. From exotic critter of muck diving to large stuff like manta; nice wall with beautiful hard and soft corals of Menjangan, amazing Liberty wreck, encrusted with colorfull corals and full of marine lifes
For Tulamben, I highly recommend to stay and dive with LDR - you'll get your own dive guide, just tell him what you want.

for topsite, stay at Ubud.

May-June is a fab time of year for the Philippines, but you would need to do your own reading to see if the cultural aspects appeal to you. There are not the ancient temples or other photo opportunities you find in Bali. But people speak English, crumbling Spanish churches hold a certain appeal, and if you took the advice to spend time in Dauin/Dumaguete (with a week to dive, I'd stick with just one resort to be honest -- moving around in the Phils is a challenge), you could continue to sightsee around the Twin Lakes, hike Mount Kanlaon volcano, drive up to the sugar barons' homes in Silay, and hop a fast ferry across to Iloilo City which has some fine, if neglected, Art Deco architecture and baroque churches, plus excellent eating. Oh, and the Philippines offer the BEST mangoes and massages.

Bohol is also a good option for combining easy, gorgeous diving and topside sightseeing. Haven't been there since 2007 so won't venture advice on accommodation.

Finally, Bali is a sound suggestion. Others are better placed to advise on how to combine semi-luxurious accommodation and diving. Have not tried the other Indonesian spots but they're on my life list.

Kerala, India is one of the best place for visiting tour, it's full of covered with naturals like mountains and hill station.

I agree with Wisnu, I think Bali would be worth a very serious look.
Diving can be as easy or as hard as your abilities and preference dictate.
Plenty of cultural opportunities for non dive days.
All levels of accommodation are available from backpackers through to luxury.
Easy to travel to and from. Just remember you need some cash for your visa on arrival and airport tax on exit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom